Needs

Wow, it has been a MINUTE. College application process is finally done & now I'm just waiting to hear back. Thank you for your patience. This story will be finished...eventually...I hope...

*Josh's POV*

I used to think crying was such a cowardly thing to do. Since all of my siblings are older than me, I never wanted to cry in front of anyone. I never wanted to be seen as weak or a baby or a coward. Now, it's all I seem to do. I cry until my body is numb, until I fall asleep.

"Is he okay?" I hear someone whisper. I don't open my eyes, hoping it will go away so I can fall back asleep.

"Um...more or less," someone replies. "He needs help."

"What do you mean?" another voice asks, deeper than the first.

I squeeze my eyes shut, still praying the voices will go away soon.

"He needs you."

I hear a door shut and soft footsteps approaching. I sense someone kneel on the floor in front of me and I'm suddenly scared to open my eyes.  I flinch at the touch of someone brushing my hair back. It's no use now. I hiccup and slowly open my eyes, which are met by ones blue as the ocean. The eyes look almost as sad as me and I feel myself begin to drown in them.

"Hey."

***

*Maya's POV*

It's been almost four hours and Riley still hasn't decided on a dress. I keep checking my phone for a response from Josh, getting more worried every second. I lean against the full-length mirror as I wait for her to try on what feels like the hundredth dress today. She walks out in an off-white satin gown with jewels across the front that form a sash. I check my phone again, but still nothing.

I look up at Riley as she walks over to the mirror and smooths down the dress.

"I really like this one," she says, smiling at her reflection.

"Uh huh," I reply half heartedly. "Just like all the other dresses."

"Woah, attitude much?"

"I don't know, maybe because you weren't acting like yourself when you told me to talk to Josh and now he's not replying! It's been hours, Riley."

"I'm sorry," she replies, looking down at me sitting on the floor. "Maybe one of his friends knows where he is." She sits on the bench and grabs her phone.

"Why do you have their numbers?" I ask, not really wanting to know how on Earth she got them.

She doesn't reply and places the phone to her ear. After a few seconds, she stands up and starts to walk away.

"Hey, Andre," I hear her say. I get up and follow her, wanting to listen in. When I catch up to her, she hands me the phone. "He wants to talk to you."

I put the phone to my ear, not knowing what to expect, but expecting the worst. "Hey, Maya," Andre says.

"Hey," I reply. "Um..." I gulp. "Is he with you?"

"He is."

I let out a breath of relief.

"But you need to come over, I'll text you my address," he adds quickly, then hangs up the phone. I continue to stare at Riley's cell when I hand it back to her.

"So is he good?" Riley asks, placing the phone back in her purse.

"I need to go. Now."

"Well, do you want to go back and get the car or---"