Believer

Far down the Euphrates river from Enoch's village, Nod was waking as the sun rose. The island city in the middle of the river was covered with simple mud and timber houses, which interlocked and seemed to follow no organizational pattern. Streets that started wide, suddenly ended without warning, simply because someone had decided their house should go there. Houses were built on top of other houses, until it seemed that half the population lived underground, scurrying like rats in their holes.

Naamah, Tubal's younger sister, followed her mother Zillah to the central market. A young woman, Naamah was dressed notably better than the people around her, but that was not too difficult a task to accomplish. The people of Nod looked little better than their city. Naamah's hair was brushed, her simple dress was clean, and apart from one silver hair clasp, her only other jewelry was carved wooden pendant that hung on a leather cord around her neck. The carving was unlike any art or architecture in Nod. Delicate lines in the golden wood formed a tree and from its based poured forth a gushing torrent of water.

Zillah was the most well dressed woman in sight - not one could compare to her white and purple flowing dress with the silver bracelets and hair clasps. Zillah was hurrying, because she had been expecting Tubal to arrive with new captives the previous night, but he had not come. The care of Cain's slaves was her responsibility - one she took very seriously. But Tubal's raiding party had been spotted just moments ago from the lookout tower of Cain's citadel. Zillah would scold him for being late.

As they passed through the streets, Naamah followed dutifully, but without enthusiasm. It seemed to her that that Nod was full of hungry people, although her parents didn't seem to notice as much as she. Old people begged alongside little children. She knew it was vital that Tubal bring back food for them from the tribes around, who never seemed to have much difficulty in raising crops that never grew in Nod. But she despised the fact that when they couldn't pay their tribute, Tubal hauled back their strong young men and women back to the city as slaves. Her step-mother and her father's first wife, Adah, had quietly taught her since she was a girl that such treatment of others was not pleasing to God, who had made all equal in the garden, and only subject to God's rule, not another's.

As they entered the market, the rush of smells and colorful sights met Naamah's eyes. Spices, exotic fruits, and clothing of every shade were all on display for sale to the highest bidder. Her mother wove expertly through the throng, but Naamah's eye was caught by a small stand of animals for sale. She always enjoyed looking at the animals that were brought in from around the wide world, and today they had something truly unique.

She walked softly toward the small, winged reptile. It's bat-like wings hung gracefully at its sides, while its long beak gnawed on the wooden perch it grasped with taloned feet. It's colors were subtle oranges and earthy browns, but with surprising flecks of brilliant blue in its crest. The merchant noticed her interest.

"He has teeth and knows how to use them," the merchant said, as he tied a small furry mammal to a tent pole. Naamah took another gentle step forward, putting her hand out, and never taking her eyes from the winged creature. It saw her approach and lifted its head from gnawing on the wooden perch. It rocked back on either foot uneasily. Naamah began to hum gently, an old tune that Adah had often sung to her while she was a child.

Little did Naamah know that at that very moment, she was being observed. Azrael watched her slowly lower her hand onto the creature's bony crest. When her hand touched him, the animal ducked, not moving any other muscles. She lowered her hand to touch his head again, and again he ducked. But the third time, he had no room to duck anymore, and stiffly let her hand rest on him. As her fingers gently scratched his rough skin, the creature suddenly relaxed and let her caress him. Azrael smiled.