Pyre

The aurora quivered in shuddering waves across the night sky as the sun left. High above the Cainite forces still arriving in place, Herab's mountain was a dark outline against the pulsing celestial greens.

The aurora was visible almost every night in this part of the antediluvian world. Azrael knew there was a perfectly good reason why such beauty was visible in the mortal realm, but each time he saw it, it reminded him of the sights his angelic vision had gazed upon - the full spectrum of light had been open to their eyes. Space - rather than being a dark expanse - was a rapturous ocean of light.

Now, he stood below Herab's mountain. The cool, wet air of the night was soothing on his aching muscles. He was thirsty, and hungry. Without the the attentive services of Zillah's slaves, the angels easily forgot about their mortal needs until hunger pains overtook them, or their voices were hoarse from dehydration. Expelling excrement had been an awkward learning experience.

Azrael knew his brother was up there. And now he was almost willing just to give Herab what he wanted if it meant Sariel would rejoin them. He could not risk losing another of his brethren. To them he owed everything, and for their sakes he must honor his oath - "To do this, we leave our own immortality behind. We will have to earn it back, as men. But united, we will be victorious over our enemies, and return to heaven as heroes! Let nothing come between us, above all else! Our loyalty is not to the people of earth, but to each other." 

It was time to leave this earth. They had successfully given the Cainites the tools and training needed to not only defend themselves, but to take holy war throughout the wicked nations of the earth if called upon to do so. 

Never would mankind forget that there was a day when heaven visited the earth. Such an event could never be erased from song or story as generation followed generation. Their coming, although their task incomplete, would be the impetus for others to finish their work.

In spite of his resolution and longing to return to the safety of the spiritual realm, the thought of leaving Naamah almost made him sick. She was strong, but still, she was only a girl. Azrael vowed that once departed from the mortal realm, he would never leave her - defending her and guiding her every moment of every day. He knew he should go report to Heaven's throne - he was centuries overdue. But although he would not admit it to himself, he feared that God would give him the rebuke he was due, and give him another assignment. He couldn't risk being reassigned. 

And he was sure she would take his mandate seriously. Perhaps she would appoint one as Enoch as an adviser. Perhaps they would eventually... marry.

Azrael was overcome with a paralyzing feeling at the thought. Never before had his mortal body reacted so strongly to something going on in his mind. What could it be? He was filled with revulsion, desperate anxiety, and a touch of rage... Could he be experiencing jealousy?

"Look Azrael! A flame on the mountain!" One of his comrades shouted. Azrael shook off the confusing thoughts and snapped to the present, looking upward. Sure enough, a fire was visible high on the top of a steep rocky cliff.

Azrael looked around in the darkness. The aurora cast enough light to indicate that their entire force had gathered here now. They needed to rest after a long day's march and already one battle. Azrael had a feeling he was going to pick a fight. Herab had a secure and familiar position. His enemies were tired. It was to Herab's advantage to goad the Cainites into attacking. Azrael didn't have to wonder long how he planned to do so.

Herab appeared high above them, standing beside the fire, which now that they had a human body to compare the scale to, they could see was a roaring pyre - the flames easily rose twice as high as Herab's head. It cast flickering red light across the mountain face.

Herab looked down on them. Although his features were too small to make out at this distance for the Cainites, the angels had much keener eyesight. Azrael could see Herab's every expression clearly. And what he saw filled him with dread.

Herab was glad to see them. Herab was delighted to welcome them. Herab had planned and waited for this moment for a long time. His lifelong obsession had been Cain's downfall. In his moment of triumph, the Watchers had interfered. For daring to meddle, Herab intended they would pay dearly.

"Bring out our brother!" An angel called out, his strong voice thundering and echoing in the dark valley. "And we will depart this world."

Herab just chuckled. The Cainites murmured uneasily. 

"I will bring him forth, but before doing so, I have something to tell you." Herab said.

"Speak, and be quick about it!" Azrael shouted. 

"Ah, Azrael, the protector of Nod. How greatly have you failed, and how little do you know it," Herab replied. "My gods have told me much about you. And they have given me words that I swore to repeat to you now."

Herab straightened, forcing his old bones to stand as tall and regal as possible.

"By saving Nod from one who would pillage their city and abuse the people contained therein, you have brought another one who will violate them and use Nod to fulfill all their sinful lusts."

"Of whom do you speak? Who will destroy Nod because of my actions?" Azrael shouted angrily.

"Of whom I speak, I know not. My gods were adamant that I should not know. They did not wish to endanger the new fall of Nod they foresaw. For my part, I am content to know that although it was not my hand that brought about pain to my enemies, but that you, their savior would unwittingly do so." 

Azrael whirled to his brothers. 

"What could he mean? Is there another army advancing upon Nod in our absence? Has Adam raised up Eden against Cain?"

The angels did not answer him.  Azrael was confused - they would not look him in the eye. .

"Do you know what Herab is talking about?"

"So you still do not know of their betrayal," Herab shouted down, laughing. "You truly have lost every power that would have unveiled it to you. By taking on mortal form to save Nod, you have ensured it's fall."

Azrael turned his face upward. He realized that he was just an audience member, Herab was a puppet on a stage, and that Moloch was saying all the words and pulling all the strings. Azrael decided he would not play anymore. If the show went on, he would burn down the theater on the heads of its participants.

"Silence, slave of the serpent. I will never doubt or forsake my brethren, no matter what lies you spew forth. And you have one of them. Bring him out, and you will never see us again."

Herab looked down upon them in a long moment of silence. 

"Then come claim him," Herab said, making a signal with his hand.

There was a loud crack and the sound of ropes snapping under tremendous strain.

And Sariel appeared within the illumination of the fire's light - strapped to a massive wooden beam that was falling forward toward the fire itself. This whole time, the beam had been held out of sight with long ropes and straps. Now, the beam was released, and fell forward, Sariel's helpless body descending towards the raging flames.

The angels cried out in unison. As one, they reached forth their hands toward their brother.

The angels held the beam in mid-air, suspending Sariel perilously over the fire.