Iron

Mounted on the finest horses in Nod, Azrael and his band of angels led the Cainite army at a run into the depths of the forest - treading slowly would only prolong the inevitable ambush that lay in wait for them around any leafy corner of the wooded path.

They had just watched one of their own brothers tortured and disgraced. They could not wait to unleash the freshly armed and trained Cainite army upon the perpetrators. Although they didn't intend to deploy the force so soon, or plan to ride at it's head, they were confident they would be victorious.

The possibility of defeat did not enter their minds, and Azrael knew the location of the ambush as soon as he laid eyes on it. 

For several hours, the terrain had become more and more mountainous. They had passed through several valleys and canyons that the soldiers had nervously entered, thinking them perfectly good places for Herab to stage his ambush. But Azrael had not even slowed through them - he knew Herab would not choose these locations. 

First, they were still too close to Nod. Herab would want to draw them as far away from Nod as possible - easy retreat would be impossible, and Herab would have more ability to inflict maximum damage on the fleeing Cainites as he had before. Or, if the Herabites were forced to retreat, the closer they were to their home, they could quickly fade into the mountains and fly along the familiar footpaths back to their own caverns to mount a strong defense.

Also, Azrael didn't expect that Herab would choose the deepest canyon for his attack. He would choose a place that didn't look so threatening. Coming out of a dark canyon, the soldiers would relax their guard, rushing forward with less caution, and be looking ahead to the more threatening-looking rocky cliffs still ahead. 

When he saw the green valley with only a few jagged rocks overhanging the path, and the faces of the soldiers behind him lightened in relief, Azrael halted for the first time in their breakneck march.

Although it was true that this valley held Herab's intended ambush, Herab had also been advised by Moloch that Azrael would probably detect it, and that much of their attack should focus on the area just before the valley itself. 

It was a harder area to attack - the forest clumped thickly and steeply here, and twisted back and forth to follow the contour of two intersecting hills. Herab had been sure that spreading his force out to include this part of the path was unnecessary. But Moloch had insisted.

And as Herab watched from the foliage high above the approaching Cainite force, he saw Azrael stop at the exact place Moloch had said he would.

"Right again," Herab breathed.

The moment Azrael's horse stopped, a volley of arrows and heavy stones was launched from the forested hillsides onto the Cainite ranks below.

Azrael raised his hand to signal that the army should prepare to defend themselves, but the signal was only seen by a few, thanks to the winding path reducing visibility along the line of soldiers. The arrows and stones - silently launched - landed among the ranks, and their arrival was greeted with screams of pain and fear. 

From the silent forest, death descended upon the Cainite army. And the Herabite war cry rose - and the battle drums pounded their bloodlust beat.

Confusion reigned among the ranks. These Cainites, although newly trained and armed by angels, still remembered the last Herabite ambush and barely surviving with their lives.Each man shielded himself, trying desperately to see which direction the projectiles were coming from. In their terror, they forgot all their new training.

"Curse them! They are weak!" An angel said, disgust lining his tone. He sat still and calm on his horse near Azrael. Arrows were directed at the angels, but they seemed to know when to duck, when to lean out of the way - as if by instinct. While men cowered, the angels held their heads high, their backs straight, disdaining the attack upon them.

"We came to remind them how to live and how to fight, not how to die," Azrael shouted, forcing his snorting steed into a gallop. "Follow me! Get them up! Get them together!"

He raced along the forest path, the other angels following. All along the line, they admonished the Cainites. 

"Stand now! Stand together!"

"Remember you are taught by the angels of heaven to war!"

"Cower not like dogs, stand like men and take your vengeance!"

"Flee from fear. Forever forward!" Azrael cried, circling around the rear of the line, and galloping forward again. The Cainites formed their ranks  and locked shields above their heads, as they had been taught in their battle training. Iron shield locked with iron shield one by one - the sound drove out the feeling of terror - they wear fighting together today.

The iron serpent followed in Azrael's wake. When they reached the valley, they split into two parallel waves, barreling over the valley rim and driving out the Herabites laying in wait for them. 

Azrael stopped his horse suddenly, waving the Cainites forward.

"No blood can be on our hands, brothers!" He shouted. 

The angels halted their horses just before reaching the Herabite lines, letting the Cainites pour around them and engage the enemy.  

"What of Sariel's blood?" An angel asked, eyeing the Herabites fiercely.

"We swore to do this together," Azrael replied. "That we would all return when our task was complete. We're almost there. If the blood of any man can accuse us, then we are all lost. It's what our enemy wants. It's why he brought us here. Don't you see?" With that, Azrael rode away from them, urging the Cainites forward.

The angels looked from one to another uneasily.

"He won't forget his oath," One of them finally said, and then they rode off to support the Cainite offensive.

Herabite arrows were no match for the new iron armor, shields and helmets the Cainites wore. Herabite bronze swords were like fighting with children's toys. Herab's carefully planned ambush was discomfited, and the Herabites hastily made their retreat to their home in the mountain caves.

Herab was in shock. The angels had driven him from his victory in Nod. Now they had armed and inspired the Cainites to fight together without Cain's name to drive them. And they were coming for blood.

Herab put his rage behind him. He wasn't finished with the Cainites or angels yet.

As he entered the caves his people called home, he signaled to his men.

"Prepare him."