Sariel

The tale of Azrael's defeat of the beast spread like wildfire through Nod. People woke their neighbors from a midnight slumber to tell them. Neighbors woke, wary and cross, but then soon could be found waking their own neighbors to tell them the same story. 

It fascinated them all. Not since the angels had first arrived had such excitement been generated. Since the descent, the angels had given knowledge and training and instruction, but there had been no more manifestations of any power that would be considered supernatural. 

The story was dissected ad infinitum throughout the night by all citizens - young and old, rich and poor, slave and free. Azrael had stopped something from killing him, and then killed it instantly... with a power no man possessed. 

Why hadn't they exhibited such powers before? Were only the leaders capable of such feats? Were the angels simply hiding their superpowers? What else could they do? These and many more questions and theories were argued throughout the night. It didn't matter that they had no answers to the questions - the story fueled intense excitement that answers could come at any time. And anyone who had reasons to resent the angels' presence suddenly could not be heard complaining anymore.

The news that one angel had not returned from the forest was hardly discussed. If mentioned, it seemed so insignificant in comparison, people dismissed it as inconsequential - if one angel was alone with the Herabites, surely the angel had nothing to fear. Rather, it was the Herabites who should be afraid!

But at dawn, Herabite drums from across the river began pounding out a menacing rhythm. The Cainites gathered in droves to the forming walls. They knew that the Herabites had surely heard of the great power exhibited last night in the forest. Perhaps they would finally abandon their grudge against Nod and strike a truce!

The angels gathered together at one point on the wall, the people fanning out along the wall on their right and left. They eagerly waited to see what Azrael might do.

Azrael felt their eyes on him. He knew they knew what he had done in the forest the night before. He could only hope that his worst fears would not be realized, but if so, he had made preparations. 

He noticed Naamah arrive, her slave walking behind her, eyes red from weeping.

"She cries for Sariel? A slave?"  Azrael asked quietly, leaning in close to Semyaza.

"He was kind to her," Semyaza replied, eyes scanning the far bank of the river.

"We are becoming too dear to the hearts of men, Semyaza," Azrael said in frustration. 

"I thought that surely after centuries of being ignored, you would welcome being cherished by them," Semyaza replied. 

"By her," Semyaza added, nodding towards Naamah.

Azrael shook his head angrily.

"No!" Azrael snapped. "We will find our brother Sariel, and then we must return to our own habitation. We've been here too long. They're depending on us to stay, and I believe our brothers are also growing fond of a mortal life. The earth will not forget heaven anytime soon!"

"Do you really think such a swift evacuation is wise? Would the Most High be pleased to bequeath our former glory to us again with our task here only partially completed?"

"What would you have us do, then?" Azrael said stiffly.

"Let time tell. Be patient." Semyaza said as soothingly as possible.

"It may then be too late," Azrael said quietly.

"Very well then," Semyaza replied, his voice calm. "We took an oath to do this together - whatever the result, whatever the consequences. Let's see it to its end - together."