Throne

Upon re-entering their city, the Cainite soldiers found it still confounded by the events of the day - there had been a dragon, a man had defeated it with his spoken words alone, the slaves had escaped, the bridge had been set on fire, Azrael had killed a dragon but had been severely wounded by Lamech's own daughter. Cain had perished - peacefully while sleeping the story was retold, but with hints of doubt that the tale was all true. His burial was planned for the following day.

As the soldiers returned to their homes, their families discovered equally strange tales from their young men - the Herabites had been annihilated, but not by the Cainites. The lost angel had perished in fire, and the angels had avenged his blood with the blood of every Herabite man, woman and child. The bitter enemies of the Cainites were no more, but this knowledge was not comforting. The soldiers feared the angels like never before. The rage and power they had seen would not be easily forgotten.

As night fell, Nod knew that the next morning would signal a new era for their people. What the future held, they knew not. Some were hopeful, others afraid, but all trembled for what was to come.

The next morning, Cain's body was placed in the center of his throne room. His stiff form was laid down on his massive wooden throne, which had been taken down from it's elevated stone platform, and placed in the middle of the massive hall.He was arrayed in his finest royal robes. His pale face was stern - the mark on his ancient visage had never stood out so clearly.

"Cain's last wish is granted - his throne is given back to him," Tubal said, unable to tear his eyes from the dead man. This man had envisioned that Tubal would one day sit on that throne. He knew it would never happen while the angels remained in Nod. Perhaps today, the angels would give them a hint when their departure would take place. With Naamah gone, who else could Azrael choose to take Cain's place?

The whole city gathered on the steps and stairs of the citadel - a place where Cain had never let ordinary citizens step. Azrael had called them all, and he stood outside the great hall to address them. He stood motionless. His bandages were gone, but his hood remained to cover up the nasty wound on his face from view.

The angels gathered around him, and all of Nod present, Azrael began.

"A new day dawns for both angels and mankind. We came here to remind the earth of their loyalty to heaven above. For this, we have sacrificed much. But instead of rewarding our initiative, heaven has abandoned here to die as men."

"We are not leaving you. We will remain."

The people were shocked. But the first shock was nothing compared to the next one.

"From among your daughters, we will take ourselves wives. And the seed of our bloodlines will be the gods of tomorrow."

Azrael let his words sink in. 

Then he Azrael held out his hand to Maori. 

"Will you take me?" He said to her, gently.

Her eyes widened, and for a moment she was frozen, unable to reply, unable to move. The Cainites waited for her response in a tense silence.

Then a smile appeared on her red face, and she walked into his embrace.

A roar of approval answered.

Holding Maori's hand, Azrael entered the throne room. Azrael nodded, and several watchers stepped forward, holding torches. They set fire to Cain's throne, and all stood back as the flames engulfed the timber chair. Cain burned with it.

Azrael then ascended the steps to the stone platform where Cain's throne had stood. Standing there, he removed his hood, and he turned to face the people, and their roar rose even higher.

All wondered as they stared at him. The wound left by Naamah's arrow looked strikingly like Cain's mark. 

---

And it came to pass when the children of men had multiplied that in those days were born unto them beautiful and comely daughters. And the angels, the children of the heaven, saw and lusted after them, and said to one another: 'Come, let us choose us wives from among the children of men and beget us children.'

And Semjaza, who was their leader, said unto them: 'I fear ye will not indeed agree to do this deed, and I alone shall have to pay the penalty of a great sin.'

And they all answered him and said: 'Let us all swear an oath... not to abandon this plan but to do this thing.' Then sware they all together and bound themselves by mutual imprecations upon it.

And they were in all two hundred; who descended in the days of Jared on the summit of Mount Hermon, and they called it Mount Hermon, because they had sworn and bound themselves by mutual imprecations upon it. Enoch 6

The Nephilim were on the earth in those days... when the sons of God came in to the daughters of man and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men who were of old, the men of renown. Genesis 6:4

For many Angels of God accompanied with women, and begat sons that proved unjust, and despisers of all that was good; on account of the confidence they had in their own strength. For the tradition is, that these men did what resembled the acts of those whom the Grecians call Giants. Josephus - Antiquities of the Jews, Chapter 3:1

And all the others together with them took unto themselves wives, and each chose for himself one... And they became pregnant, and they bare great giants... Who consumed all the acquisitions of men. And when men could no longer sustain them, the giants turned against them and devoured mankind. And they began to sin against birds, and beasts, and reptiles, and fish, and to devour one another's flesh, and drink the blood.

Then the earth laid accusation against the lawless ones... And as men perished, they cried, and their cry went up to heaven... Enoch 7 & 8