Outpour

Nod was in an uproar. 

Soldiers rushed to their posts, obeying Semyaza's orders to assemble to pursue the Herabites. The citizenry were shocked at what they had just witnessed - an angel had exhibited inhuman power, while yet another of his kind was brutalized and barely escaped execution. For mere mortals, the two extremes could not be reconciled. 

Enoch had seen everything they had seen, and Adam's prophecy rang in his head, "A messenger will come... but an enemy will also rise." What could it mean? 

Herab definitely had risen now to oppose not only the Cainites, but the angels and their message. His personal vendetta against Cain now included them. What had he said? "My god..." Herab must be aligned with the enemies of the angels in the supernatural realm. It was suddenly clear to Enoch that Herab's capture of Sariel could be more than simply an attempt to drive them away - it was an intentional step by Azrael's enemies to see the angels fall - to shed blood, to fall too far from heaven's favor to be welcome back again.

The messenger could not fall! 

"Why couldn't you stop him?" Lamech was shouting.

"We brought the the fight here and Moloch has responded in kind," Semyaza replied.

"You can't leave the city undefended! Herab surely is prepared for your exodus just like last time!" Lamech said.

"I know," Azrael interjected wearily. "But I swore an oath. No oath that proceeds from a heavenly being can be allowed to fail."

"What if you do not return? What if you die?" Naamah's voice broke in. Azrael looked her earnestly.

"Then I expect you can carry on the work I began here, so that we will not have perished in vain," Azrael replied gently. "Will you let the earth forget us? Will you let them forget what we did here? Will you let them forget Sariel's blood shed for you today?"

Naamah nodded.

"I will never let them forget."

"Take our message throughout the world, take our memory!" Azrael begged them. "Those who do not bow, the sword will judge."

"What does this mean?" Lamech interrupted, looking nervous after hearing Azrael's words to the two young people.

"It means that Azrael has chosen the one who would replace us if we fall," Semyaza said curtly.

"Semyaza, please stay here in Nod. I would not leave them completely alone." 

"Very well, I will remain with a small contingent of angels here. But I believe there is one yet who can be of service."

Azrael looked around, and saw that Semyaza was nodding toward Tubal. Tubal was fighting internal fury to see Naamah honored above him, but he hid it with effort.

"Tubal, the iron smith and fearless in battle!" Azrael said to him. "I go to regain my brother and destroy our enemies. Will you let this city fall, even if I take most of the army with me?"

"The walls will stand even taller when you return, mighty one!" Tubal said, and as he did, he brought forth a long sword. It was twice as long as any of the new Cainite iron blades, and even Tubal's strong arms shook as he raised the tip to the sky.

"I made this sword for the day angels would go to war." He offered the blade to Azrael. But Azrael shook his head.

"No man's blood shall accuse me! I cannot accept!"

"Then how will you fight?"

"Why do I need a sword when I have a thousand swords to command?" Azrael pointed at the Cainite army already assembling in front of the drawbridge.

A horse was brought for Azrael. The others said their farewells, but Semyaza came close to the bridle and held forth his arm to Azrael. They clasped forearms and did not speak for a long moment. They both knew how dangerous this mission would be, but that it had to be done.

"Bring him back to us, Azrael," Semyaza said. 

"I will not leave one of our brothers here alone. I will bring him back or perish," Azrael replied grimly. Semyaza knew he meant every word.

"And in your stead, you will relinquish Nod's guardianship to a girl?" Samyaza said quietly to Azrael.

"Not just any girl." Azrael replied. Semyaza smiled through his grimness.

"Heaven will be glad to see your face again after the centuries you have been here - in spirit and now in flesh. But do you really think she is strong enough? Would not one like Tubal be a more sure choice?"

"I believe she is the one," Azrael said. "Tubal does not long to understand our heart like she does. He can be the force of strength that she will wield, but she will be the one to guide them upward. And knowing I believe in her - it gives her strength and resolve. She will continue what we have started here."

"Very well," Semyaza replied. "I hope you are right."

With that, Azrael rode away from him, meeting up with scores of mounted angels at the front of the Cainite army. They led them across the three drawbridges and the armored thousands disappeared into the forest.