Beginnings

As the bridge broke and fell, Tubal and Enoch lowered their swords, watching from the forested embankment in horror. The other combatants did the same - they couldn't tear their eyes away as the flaming wooden structure collapsed into the river, taking Azrael and Caleb down with it. 

Several of Caleb's companions immediately ran down to the river's edge, diving in and striking out towards the wreckage - hoping to recover their leader.

Naamah scanned the water for any signs of the two warriors. Then she saw a body - so small she almost missed it at this distance. 

"There!" She cried. It was Azrael. He wasn't moving, just floating in the waves, surrounded by the smoldering wreckage.

Tubal turned back to face both her. His face was bitter.

"You have betrayed our people," He said. "From today, I have no sister!" And then he ran to the water's edge, dropping his sword and removing any armor. 

"Into the river!" He shouted at his remaining warriors. "We must retrieve lord Azrael!" And they followed him into the water.

Naamah sighed heavily. She was free of Nod now. But she had not even had the chance to say goodbye to her mother, to her slave, or her city. She stared across the water at the island, while in the water between them her brother was swimming as hard as he could toward the unconscious angel.     

"I've abandoned them!" She said. "Left my people to the enemy."

Enoch stood beside her, tossing his Cainite blade aside. 

"This is just the beginning," He said gently. "Don't lose hope for them."

When Caleb's body was brought back to shore by his men, he was buried a short way into the forest. It was a solemn moment, but also victorious - here they stood, free of Nod's grip, free to go where they wished in the world, thanks to Caleb's sacrifice.

In Nod's citadel, Lamech was hurrying down the halls. His guards had informed him that Azrael was being brought back from the river - alive, but unconscious. 

The day had resulted much differently than he had imagined it would - as he supposed it had for everyone present. The angels were poised to make their strongest statement yet to quell doubt. But Enoch had not died as he was supposed to. It all was too much to digest in the hours that had passed.

Lamech was unsettled by it all. It all felt off, but he couldn't exactly say why. The only thing he knew for certain was that he would be foolish to entrust his people's future solely in the hands of the angels. They said they had his people's best interests at heart, but he would be a fool to blindly believe them - they had kept their dalliances with the slave women secret from all. Plus, the revelation that his master, Cain, had been using his own wife similarly had driven any trust far from him.

He would have to make sure Nod would grow and flourish - with or without their presence.

He rounded a corner, and stopped abruptly. His wives were standing, waiting for him.

"Lamech, we need to speak..." Adah said.

"I have no time for this."

"Naamah is gone," Zillah said. He stopped. He had not heard this news.

"She left with Enoch and the others over the bridge," She continued.

"So my only child is lost then?" Lamech asked bitterly. He still had not confronted her with the claim that Cain had made - for which Lamech had killed him.