Sacrifice

That evening, no one joined followed Enoch as he led a lamb out of its pen and up the hill, where Seth waited by the altar. Enoch remembered that as a boy, the whole village had sacrificed together, but as the years had passed, the number of participants had dropped further and further. But this was the first time that no one joined them at all. Tubal's demonstration had had its intended effect.

The sacrifice was a simple affair and only done occasionally, perhaps two or three times a year. According to Seth's accounts, God had not left them many instructions for performing the sacrifice, but there was only one thing that Seth insisted on - the sacrifice had to be a lamb. According to the story, Cain once had offered something different, and that story didn't end well. Since he was young, Enoch had been responsible for the care and raising of the sheep used for the sacrifices.

Seth looked at the lamb as a gift to God, a symbolic act acknowledging their Creator and everything He had provided them. According to Seth, the first sacrifices had been performed by God to provide Adam and Eve a covering for their bodies. An innocent creature had died to cover their shame. As a result, sheep's skin was still commonly used material for clothing among tribes that still performed the traditional sacrifice.

The lamb lying on the altar, Seth raised his hands to heaven. The sun was setting behind the mountains, and even now, Enoch could make out the outline of Nod, far away down the river.

"Almighty God, maker of the earth and giver of life," he prayed. "We present you with this sacrifice as you commanded my father Adam before me. May you be pleased with this offering."

Seth paused a long moment, long enough for Enoch to look over at him to see why he wasn't finishing the prayer as usual. He could see Seth's lips moving intently and his eyes moving below his closed lids. Finally, Seth spoke again.

"Do not abandon us," he whispered. "Remember your promise!"

As the sacrifice burned low and twilight turned to night, Enoch and Seth sat in the grass near the altar. Enoch watched the stars and the gentle pulses of the aurora undulate in the sky, like just it did almost every night.

"The Cainite was right," Seth said at last. "Few honor the old ways anymore. They must be reminded, or the generations to come will forget it altogether."

"Their fear of Cain is strong," Enoch said.

"They should fear God," Seth replied.

"They'll need more than stories to go on, then, grandfather," Enoch said. "You ask them to believe you, but the threat of Cain is real, and the consequences of defying Cain much more visible."

Seth beckoned to the heavens about them.

"One day you will have a son of your own," Seth said. "He will look to you to tell him his place in this universe. When he is young, he will believe whatever you say, but when he is grown, he may change his mind. What will you tell him?"

"If we remain here and I instruct him as you have taught me," Enoch said slowly. "His life, his happiness, would be in danger. I cannot let that happen again."

"Then what will you do?" Seth asked.

"I will make a new home where Cain's raiders will never reach us," Enoch replied.

"Cain is not the only danger in this world," Seth said.

"Perhaps, but I will try," Enoch said. "Until God punishes the Cainites as He should, I see no future here."

"God shows them the same mercy and patience he shows to us, Enoch," Seth said. "All mankind are fallen. To both us, and the Cainites, he gives us the choice of what to do with His mercy."

"He should make them acknowledge Him, then," Enoch exclaimed. "Why doesn't He?"

"God interferes with no man's ability to choose between good and evil." Seth replied. "It's how He intended us to exist - through his goodness and graciousness to us in spite of our smallness, he grants us the choice between following His ways, or our own ways, like Cain."

"He should just destroy them all," Enoch said.  

---

"Now this Seth, when he was brought up, and came to those years in which he could discern what was good, became a virtuous man; and as he was himself of an excellent character, so did he leave children behind him who imitated his virtues."  

Josephus, Antiquities of the Jews, Book 1, Chapter 2.