Chosen

Azrael had moved to intervene when it looked as if a fight were to be inevitable, but Semyaza had prevented him.

"Let us see what happens."

"He may die."

"If he does, then you will have your answer."

Enoch did not die, but rather had swiftly thrown down his attacker. Now that the fight was over, and they had heard Enoch's shouts to the assembled crowd, Azrael turned to Semyaza, a spark of fire in his eyes.

"I knew we would find worthy ones!"

"Such a decision may be dangerous, brother," Semyaza said warily.

"He can fight - and for heaven's cause instead of for his own power like Cain did, or Tubal would," Azrael said.

"You vowed long ago to protect the faith of the descendants of Cain, none else. If you tell them to follow one who is not their own, they may turn their backs on everything you have done for them beforehand."

Azrael only smiled as him.

"Semyaza, you think too imaginatively about what the future holds. Have faith brother!"

"I think of our future too, Azrael. With concern. So much is at stake, not only for them, but for us." Semyaza said earnestly. Azrael's face hardened.

"All the more reason that we must appoint our human successors with all possible speed."

Azrael stepped into the arena and made his way to where Enoch stood, and Naamah was wiping the blood from Tubal's face with a towel. Azrael looked once at Enoch, and then to Naamah.

"Come with me." They followed without question as he strode out of the arena.

Tubal held the towel to his face, partly to stem the blood flow, and partly because he was not yet ready to face his countrymen after suffering such a defeat at the hands of a Sethite. 

"Think before you strike next time, and you will be victorious," Semyaza said harshly, coming alongside Tubal.

"Where did he take them?" Tubal asked, nodding in the direction Azrael had left.

"Azrael seeks one worthy to continue our work when we are gone."

Tubal looked confused.

"What do you mean?"

"Someone worthy to sit in the throne that Cain left empty. Do you wish one of them there?"

Realization dawned in Tubal's eyes, and then rage.

Enoch and Naamah could hardly keep up with Azrael's swift stride. He led them through Nod's streets, bringing them north to the mountain with each turn.

As they walked, Enoch wondered what the angel could want with them. He also noticed for the first time the precisely angled slopes that the mining operations were leaving on the mountain itself. Massive stone walls were rising higher around Nod every day, and as the walls grew, the mountain was taking on a new shape - an intentional shape, although Enoch couldn't quite make out the intention yet.

Upon reaching the mountain's base, Azrael continued upward on the paths used by the stone miners which wound around the mountain and reached all the way to its peak.

He did not break his pace until he reached the summit, and the island of Nod, the colossal Euphrates, and the forests stretched out to the horizon's edge before him. He sat upon a rock ledge sticking out over nothing and waited for the two humans to join him.

They did, a minute later, panting heavily. 

"Sit." He said.

When they did, he spoke.

"So often, I sat here in despair, unable to touch your world. Now I am here, and much has changed already. But we cannot remain here forever."

"Why not?" Naamah asked. "Surely you can do more good here!"

"You sound like Semyaza," Azrael said gently. "But as much as I wish to, to stay would be unthinkable. And so the people will need a leader once we are gone - a leader whose loyalties transcend earthly ones."

Azrael looked at Naamah closely.

"Will you lead them?"

"Me?" Naamah said, in shock.

Azrael nodded.

"You know mankind's place in the cosmos now that we have visited you. The world must not forget that it was created for heaven's pleasure. Evil must be abolished, and every uncleanness purged. All I must do is say the word and you can have the power to change the world as you have always wished to. None will be able to resist your word."

"You will never have to fear for the safety of your family again. You can protect the innocent, and the faithful can live without fear again!"

"But we thought you had come to make this happen," Naamah said. "How can summon such power?"

"With the might we are building here,"  Azrael replied. "You will be able to wash evil from the earth with the blood of sheep, or if necessary, the blood of those who refuse to bow to heaven. Nod is just the beginning. I always dreamed it would be a bastion of faith, rather than a watchword for wickedness."

"Enoch has been trained to offer sacrifices for sin and penitence to God for the failures of man," Azrael continued. "He could guide you."

"You would will us to carry out a holy war?" Enoch said. "Seth taught me that God forces no man to choose good!"

"And how has Seth succeeded in turning the tide of faithlessness back?" Azrael said, standing, his voice raised. "He and.... EDEN have done nothing for all their piety!" 

Suddenly Azrael realized he had practically shouted the last sentence. He calmed himself and sat back down on the rock.

"I have watched man too long. The earth must be cleansed."

"In blood?" Enoch asked.

"Blood is what will be required to atone for the sins of the whole world - man's blood for man's sin. Those who would wipe your family from the earth, is it not what they deserve, Enoch?"

"This is your message?"

Azrael nodded.

"It is. And it must be carried out by mankind, because it is for mankind. This will be your task."

Azrael noticed they were still troubled.

"Long have both of you sought a future with hope. I will show you how you can bring it to pass. That will be the next step in your training. No more shall either of you mingle with the rest of the masses, you both will be my students. I have much to teach you, and so little time!"