Chapter 14: Vigil Night

Emma walked into school, whispers and rumors spread. Natalie came running beside her. She saw a group of girls laughing. She walked up to them.
"You think this is funny? Huh? Would you like your first time all over the Internet...oh wait you haven't even had it yet. Oh I'm sorry."
The girls storm off and Natalie turns to Emma.
"Haha Thanks."
"No problem."
"Emma."
Audrey came running by and stopped.
"Hey, been there done that."
"I've had similar, people blaming me. Which is so fun."
"Oh yeah I wanted to ask you what's with you and Jake?"
Audrey asked Natalie.
Natalie froze.
"We're friends, we were friends since we were like 6."
"That's not all."
"Okayyy. Think whateve-"
She looked down the hall to see Jake leaning up against Brooke. Nat seemed sad but smiled, it was a fake one. "Let's go."
"Em!"
We turn and see Will running to Emma.
"We'll see you in class."
Natalie and Audrey walk away, going into class.
We all sat down in our seats and a ginger head lady sat down in Rileys seat.
"Are you kidding me?"
"You got a problem?"
"Yeah I do,that's Rileys seat...Forever."
The girl gets up and sits somewhere else. Natalies phone sent off and it was a text from the killer.
Killer:'Atleast your not the star of the show now are you?'
Natalie:'Leave me alone.'
Killer:'Maybe i will...I'm still playing with Emma on this one.'
Natalie puts her phone away and Noah looks at Emma.
"Look Emma again. I'm so so so sorry for that video. I had no idea it was gonna mutate and spread like this crazy zombie sex virus...and that came out so horribly."
"Noah it's okay. Well its not but...you couldn't of known what was gonna happen."
Noah smiles and turns back to the front.
"Okay everyone. I know we're still realing from Rileys death but we do have learning to do."
Natalie stares at Rileys seat.
"Noah I know you were scene partners."
"Yeah uh...I might just sit this one out. I'f that's okay."
"That's fine. I understand. But we will resume our scene work next week. Let's get back to Hawthorne."
People sigh and roll there eyes. Mr.B writes something on the board.
"The scarlet letter, it's a classic tail of hypocrisy, misogyny and female oppression." Jake lifts his hand.
"Mr Branson seriously, with all the cyber-bullying and gifs and mayhem going down...who cares."
"Actually jake it's very relevant."
All of a sudden everyone's phones went off. They pulled them out and saw a GIF of Emma and Will.
"See the birth of Hester brynns illegitimate child led to her being essentially outed and cyber-bullied. Puritan style.
"It just takes 9 months instead of 9 seconds." Kieran pointed out.
"Exactly."
"Or uh...3 minutes am I right."
A guy leaned in to Will. Will was definitely angry and he stood up, banging the table with his hands.
"Shut the hell up!"
"Will, stop!"
Emma stands up facing Will.
"Will that's enough. Sit down. Emma are you okay?"
"No...I'm-I'm not okay. Um, I know that our throughts are with the friends that we lost so I just want to remind everyone that there's a candlelight vigil downtown tonight at 7. I hope you can all be there."
The bell rings and everyone leaves.
Natalie walks beside Jake.
"You really don't like learning about actually history do you."
"Neh. I care about the now, this will be history."
"That's true..."
Jake looked down at her.
"Whats wrong?"
"2 reasons. Noah's dad is coming home from Boston tomorrow night and ummm, I just feel horrible about Emma and Will."
"Yeah."
"You didnt film them did you. Your the kinda person who does that creepy stuff."
"Why would I do that?"
"Uh I'm not sure. Some of us throught."
He shakes his head and turns away and leaves. "Jake...come on."
He dosen't stop, he keeps walking.

*6:56pm*

The sky was already dark, the candles were being handed out.
Emma, Noah and Brooke stood up on stage with Natalie behind them.
"Thank you to everyone who came. Riley was um..."
Her phone vibrated on the desk in front of her. She stopped speaking and started to shake.
"Noah. Go up." Natalie whispered. She grabbed Emma and Noah stood on stage to talk.
"Emma...what's wrong?"
She shows her phone to me.
Killer:'Tell that cop about me and you'll see your mom's heart in a box.'
"Oh my god..."
Natalie looked back at the crowd, looking and seeing if anyone was on there phone.
Noah finished his speech and Emma and Brooke lit there candles. Emma walked up to Noah and Natalie and lit there candles. The 4 of them walked around and set everyone's candle at the vigil. Natalie walked up to Jake and looked at him. He looked up and didn't look at her.
"Jake...how long will you hate me."
"It's been like 3 hours..."
"Jake...please."
He still didn't look at her. Her eyes teared up and glimmered from the candle light. Jake glanced at her and sighed.
"I'll be at the cafe tomorrow...can we talk then Jake?"
"Fine..."
Natalie looked up and smirked. Jake smirked too. She continued to light candles and they finished the vigil with everyone praying for Riley, Nina and Tyler.