Chapter twelve

"Emma? What on earth happened last night?" My mom asks.
"I just kind of lost it, I'm sorry, I never meant to worry anyone."
"It's okay, we aren't mad, you're not in trouble. You just scared us, that's all." Dad says. "We're worried about you, Emma."
"I'm ok, I promise, things have just been.. hard lately, but I'm ok." I say, trying to keep my voice steady.
"Maybe we should take you to the doctors, see what they think we should do."
"Why? I'm not sick, I told you, I just freaked out, that's all. I wasn't trying to cause any problems."
"We know you aren't Emma. But you've been really down lately, you're not yourself, and it's worrying us."
"So... what are you getting at here?"
"I think maybe you're depressed, and I think we should talk to the doctor about what to do." I blink, unsure of what to say. How long have they been planning this?
"Okay." I say, my voice tiny and soft. "I guess I'll go."
"I'll call and make your appointment. Why don't you go and get some sleep? You've had a rough night."
"I'm not really tired." I say.
"Okay. Just lie down and relax then."
"Guys, please just.. I am fine. Okay? I'll go to the doctor but I'm not depressed."  
"Emma, you've been through a lot, it's worth looking into."
"I guess." I go upstairs and flop on my bed, wondering when things got like this, I've always had a say in things, I wonder if I went down and said I didn't want to go to the doctors anymore if it would make a difference, probably not, I have a feeling my little meltdown last night scared my parents into making my decisions for me. I get up and grab a letter from the pile on my desk. Open this when you feel like crying.
           Emma, I'm so sorry you're having a bad day, I wish I could do something to make it better. I love you and I want you to be happy, I'm here if you need me. Just call or text me, or video chat, if you want to. I hope I'm not the reason for this, if I am, let me fix it, I love you and I don't want you to be hurt.
I'm sorry this letter is so short, this is all I can manage for this one, the other ones are better, I promise.
"Emma?"
"Yeah?"
"Your appointment is next Tuesday at ten in the morning."
"I changed my mind, I don't think I should go."
"I've already made the appointment, and it could be good for you to..."
"Mom please, just cancel it okay? I don't want to go." She sighs.
"Alright. I'll call them back."
"Thank you."
"I love you, Emma."
"I love you too."