chapter eighteen

"Does anything hurt?" the nurse asks.

"My head." I say, which isn't a lie.

"Anything else?"

"No." I say, my voice cracking. Kayla was wrong, she's not going to send me home and Im going to have to face the day feeling like this. I cant go back out there, not this close to tears.

"Emma?"

"Please don't make me go back out there, I just can't today, my head hurts and I'm tired and, I, I just can't be here today! I'm sorry but I really need to go home, I can't face anyone." The words are exploding from my mouth before I have the chance to stop them, I cant take them back now even if I wanted to.

"Did you drive here?"

"Yes."

"Do you feel like you can drive yourself home or do you need a parent to come pick you up?"

I don't think I can drive.

"Alright. Im going to give your mom a call. I think you need to get some rest. You're upset, for one thing, and you do look tired. I can't give you anything for your headache, unless your mom says its ok when she gets here." I nod because I don't think I can say anything else. "Lie down, Ok? I'm going to give your mom a call."

"Should I go and get her things?" Kayla asks.

"Yes, please."

"I'll be right back." Once Kayla leaves, the nurse turns to me.

"Is something going on? I mean, are you being bullied or harassed?"

"No, nothing like that, I've just been having a really hard time lately, things have been really hard." She nods.

"You aren't thinking of harming yourself, are you? I need to know you'll be safe if I send you home today."

"I'm not thinking of harming myself, no, I just really need to get some sleep, I promise I'll be safe."

"Okay, well, if that ever becomes a thought you have, do not hesitate to go to the guidance office, you won't be in trouble, we're here to help you, Emma, in any way we can."

"Thank you." I say.

"When is the last time you slept? And I mean slept through the night."

"I I don't remember... Is that bad?"

"If you can't remember, you definitely need some sleep." Kayla comes back in with my backpack and notebook, my mom follows closely behind.

"Hi, Emma, let's get you home so you can get some rest. Are you hungry? I can make you some lunch when we get home."

"I'm kind of hungry. Do we have anything at the house for a headache?"

"Yes, we do."

"I would suggest keeping her home for a few days, she's exhausted, she's stressed and upset. She just needs a break. You can write a parent note for her to bring in when she comes back."

"Okay, thank you so much."

"It's no problem. Feel better, Emma."

"Thank you."