Chapter 1

- FAYE'S POV

Great, my emails are already coming down on me like a ton of bricks for not turning my phone on yesterday. 233?! Fuck this.

I read through each one carefully as I sit in the kitchen with some cereal and orange juice. Each one seems to be reminding me of the things I need to do today: meetings, presentations, databases etc. Why did I choose this career path? Sure, I wasn't stupid and I had the potential of earning millions in the next five years - but I hadn't exactly been rooting for this job from the beginning. I had wanted to go to art college at 18 years old to learn more about my passion and to become an artist. My Dad was the one who shattered my dreams by getting all of his business contacts involved in my future and that's why I'm here today doing a job that doesn't captivate me.

'1 NEW EMAIL'.

Shit... my stupid inbox has automatically scrolled to the top and opened the new email. Sighing, I read:

'Hi Faye,

Would you mind sitting in a meeting for me today? I have got an appointment at the hospital today and if you don't attend, you will be letting clients down, therefore letting me down. It's with Mr. Brown and Mr. Lowe in my office at 12:30pm. I understand that you have other meetings to be in today but this one is extremely important and it's a chance for our company to really strike a great deal. I have attached the necessary paperwork to this email which you will need to take to the meeting with you.

Thanks,

Michael.'

Michael's my boss. He's the biggest dick I know and he's constantly dropping his workload onto me. It's just a shame that no one else in the company realizes because I'm sure that if they knew what he was really like, he'd get demoted in a flash.

I reply to Michael:

'Michael,

OK - but this is the last time I cover for you. Hope everything goes well at the hospital.

Faye.'

He probably wasn't even going to the hospital and would be instead hooking up with one of the city's whores for a quickie. Michael had tried it on with nearly all of the female colleagues but very few had been stupid enough to fall for his 'charming charisma'. When he'd tried it on with me - in the store cupboard when I started working for the company at 18 - I slapped him and he refused to talk to me for around two years. It's a miracle that he talks to me now because he's definitely one of those grudge holders.

"How's your morning?" James walks in with just his boxers on, kissing me on the cheek. He then brushes past me and begins making his breakfast.

I yawn. "Stressful. Just like the rest of my day's going to be."

"You should really take a break."

"James, I had my phone turned off all of yesterday and now I've got to get through double the work I should have today. If I drop everything careerwise, even for a few hours, it jeopardizes my entire schedule."

"OK, I understand. I just miss spending quality time with you," he grumbles.

"See, James? You don't understand. You're being selfish," I snap.

I can tell he's thinking about how to reply back to me because he pauses for a while. "Fine. If you're happy prioritizing your career before me then you're fucking entitled to. But don't forget that it kills our relationship and it kills me."

"And there you go again shining the spotlight back onto you. Remind me to get that dusty old violin out of the basement next time you feel the need to pity yourself."

"Faye, give it a fucking rest."

I do exactly that, ignoring him and walking out of the house. I get into my car and drive to work.

When I get there, I log into my computer and continue reading and replying to the rest of my emails. Whilst doing that, Michael comes over to me.

"Faye, did you get my email?"

I moan. "Yes, Michael. I replied to you a while ago."

"OK. Just make sure you're not -"

"Late. I know how it works around here seeing's though I have been working here for five years."

He walks away but mutters, "You better not let me down."

Haha, the cheek that man possesses.

--------------------------------------------------

A/N:

New story. ;)

Please let me know what you think of this story so far by voting and/or commenting - thank you. ♥

P.S. Faye is on the right hand side of the page. :)