Chapter 27

- CHRIS’ POV

I drive home and park up the Lambo. I have trouble walking to the front door because it’s so dark and there are no lights around - but I eventually get inside.

I pull my phone out of my pocket and ring Lowe.

“Hey, Lowe,” I say when he picks up.

“What do you want, Chris? I’m eating with Stephanie right now.”

“I was wondering. Stephanie’s friendly with Faye, right?” I ask.

“Yeah, why?”

“I should have told you this before but… Faye’s in hospital. She’s going through really tough times at the moment and -”

“Is she OK?”

“It depends how you define ‘OK’. Anyway, can Stephanie go round to see her some time? Faye would really appreciate it.”

“Let me put you onto her now,” Lowe mumbles, food most likely crammed in his mouth.

“Hi Chris, Stephanie here,” Stephanie cheerily says.

“Er, hi. Listen, Faye’s in hospital and she -”

“Faye’s in hospital?! What’s happened to her?! She’s going to be OK, isn’t she?!”

I cough before answering. “Faye’s in hospital and yes, I suppose you could say she is OK to an extent. Anyway, I was wondering if you’d go and see her? She hasn’t had many visitors and I know she gets really lonely there.”

“Of course! I’ll go and visit her tomorrow, if that’s OK. Oh, and can I bring my girlfriends along?”

“Sure. And yeah, visiting tomorrow’s fine.”

“What happened to her?”

I sigh. “I’m not really up for talking about that right now. Um… sorry but I better go.”

“No worries. Thanks for calling, Chris.”

“Bye.”

I hang up and then text Faye:

‘Hi, get excited because you’re going to have some extra visitors tomorrow xxxxx.’

F: ‘WHO? xxxxxxx.’

C: ‘Surprise ;-) xxxxxx.’

F: ‘Naaaaw. :( xxxxxx’

C: ‘Have a nice sleep. I love you xxxxxx.’

F: ‘I love you too. Night. xxxxxxxxxxxxx.’

- FAYE’S POV

I wake up to females’ voices squabbling.

“We shouldn’t be here, she’s asleep.”

“She’ll wake up soon, especially with you talking so fucking loudly.”

“Girlies, calm down.”

I imagine the scene before me in my head. Well, I recognise Stephanie’s voice… and Simone’s… and is that Hayley’s? Yep, it’s that same decibel defying shouting again. Stephanie will be sat in a sensible outfit, possibly consisting of a pastel dress and flats, with a matching, undaring headband (her obsession; don’t ask me why) to complete her look. Simone… I don’t have a fucking clue to be honest. And Hayley? I’m guessing a blazer, only because I’ve met her just the once and that was what she was wearing then.

For confirmation on my prophecy, I slowly open my eyes and sit up.

Stephanie is wearing pretty much the same outfit I predicted, except she’s not wearing one of her infamous headbands (pigs really must be able to fly). Simone’s wearing a beautiful red dress and black heels and she’s curled her blonde tresses into big, bouncy waves which fall just below her shoulders. I turn my head to Hayley. What the fuck is she wearing? I thought last time, when we did the coffee shit, that Simone had a terrible fashion sense - but my eyes are telling me different now. Hayley’s wearing a ridiculous, mouldy looking cardigan, a very revealing black vest and woolly pants. Yucccck. And her heels? Wow, they’re something.