Chapter 10

We soon arrive at the park. Chris never fails to open my door for me and this is no exception. We stroll out onto the grass, picking a secluded spot away from the other few people tucking into their late lunches.

Chris begins to lay out all of the picnic basket's contents onto the rug that he has just put down but I stop him.

"You haven't had many picnics before, have you?"

He shakes his head.

"It's better to leave the food in the basket incase ants come marching."

He laughs at his own 'stupidity'. "Sorry, I guess you could call me a picnic virgin."

"You've never -"

"I've done the whole picnic thing when I was a kid but I've never had a picnic as an adult."

"I have to admit that I haven't had one in a long time," I tell him. "The last one I had was with my Mom a few weeks before she passed away."

"I'm sorry," he gulps again.

"Don't be. It's an amazing memory that I will cherish forever."

He smiles. "I really admire you for being able to just concentrate on the positives of the situation."

"There's no point in dwelling in negativity. It makes you go crazy eventually."

I guess that Chris still deals with his demons so I hope that he is able to take my words in his stride.

"Anyway," Chris says. I'm a little disappointed that he seems to have ignored my last words. "We've got cheese sandwiches, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, chicken curry wraps, tuna wraps... um. I think that's it."

"Please could I have a chicken curry wrap?"

Chris nods and hands it to me. He grabs himself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. "Oh - I forgot something. Smoothie?"

"Yes please."

I choose mango and Chris chooses strawberry and banana.

"Wait there. Mr. Forgetful's forgotten something else," he rummages through the basket again. "We've got an Italian antipasti selection."

I can't believe he's done all this - I'm extremely grateful. But I have a feeling that he's going all out to try and impress me and I don't want that. I just want to chill with no strings attached. The whole James situation is slowly eating into my mind and my brain needs to take it easy.

There is silence as we both tuck into our lunch and my thoughts move to how calm and peaceful it is. So many people think that Chris is this monstrous lunatic but being here with him is the complete opposite to that perception. Do I worry about Chris' past anger issues? Honestly, I don't. I know what it's like to be judged by people - my joyous (sarcasm) school days - and I know that it's not a nice feeling to know that regardless of any evolution you may go through, some people will still revert to and dwell on how you were prior to the changes. But I went through nothing compared to what Chris goes through now. I'm not excusing his behaviour, because I was actually disgusted when it appeared all over the news back in 2009 and I still am, but he has to deal with the constant backlash five years later on such an enormous scale. I'm not going to name names but a lot of other famous people have committed even worse crimes and have only had to go through mild scoldings. And then so many of his haters have the cheek to say that he hasn't changed because of his party life etc.... um, excuse me? He only does that because all of you stupid fuckers are most likely driving him to the border of suicide.

Despite what they think, I know that Chris has a good heart which he somehow lost on that night - but he has retrieved it now.

"Thank you, Chris," I smile after I've finished the food. "It was really good."