Chapter 15

He laughs as he gets into his car and he waves at me in a stupid way, throwing his head back and giving out a muffled cackle. I would laugh with him but I'm not in the right mood - so I glance at him one more time before continuing my walk.

I only start breathing properly again when I hear his car driving away. But then I remember where I'm walking to and my breathing changes again.

I feel sick as I approach the familiarity. That feeling deep in the pit of my stomach... I want to collapse with tears.

*FLASHBACK*

"Mom, Jonah just nearly pushed me into the pond!"

"Don't be mean to your little sister, Jonah."

"Mom, I didn't do anything! Honestly!"

"He did, Mom! Don't lie, Jonah!"

"Come here, Faye. I'll kiss it better for you."

Fuck. Why did I come here? I don't want to replay all of this shit.

I open the gate.

She would have touched this gate.

My brain almost stops me from moving but I feel my body walking down the path and I catch up with it.

I lie down on the grass; there's nobody around and I don't care what anybody thinks anyway. I raise my head briefly and my hair retires from its ponytail as I let my hair down.

I open my eyes.

What the fuck? Where am I? I'm outside somewhere and it's starting to get dark...

Oh. I'm still here? I thought I walked back home hours ago but I must have dreamt it. My phone's ringing? Shit, I'm really not with it.

"Hello?" I say when I answer.

"Faye? Remember I said I was taking you out tonight?"

Fuck you, Chris.

"Go away," I spit, hanging up.

I don't need anyone. I'm fine by myself.

- CHRIS' POV

OK.

Why does Faye keep pushing me away? She comes up with shit like she'll break my heart but I know there's more to it. I'm going to get to the bottom of it if it's the last thing I do. I can't deny that I love her and I can't lose her like this; nobody from either party's done anything wrong for it to end. Wait... maybe she doesn't love me? She doesn't love me like I love her, does she? She probably thinks that I'm a creep, a stalker.

It explains everything.

I need to leave her alone.

But what's the point in living when I can't have Faye? I don't want to marry someone else and have kids with someone else because it would all be based on a lie. My heart belongs with Faye and I can't retrieve it.

I really don't know where the fuck to go from here. Do I keep trying to win Faye back or do I respect her wishes?

The dilemma's giving me a splitting migraine and it blares through my brain like I've got twenty speakers up there. Her words cut me like a rusty knife and they keep repeating and repeating.

I want you... I want you to stay away from me.

Stay away.

Go away.

I want you... I want you to stay away from me.

Stay away.

Go away.

I want you... I want you to stay away from me.

Stay away.

Go away.

I want you... I want you to stay away from me.

Stay away.

Go away.

Then her words become distorted and start really slowing down. I sit down to watch TV - basically trying to do anything to get the words to stop - but they keep playing. Louder and louder.

I go upstairs and lie down on my bed, breathing in and out. I reach over to turn the light off and try to get to sleep.

- FAYE'S POV

I get up off the grass and get out of that place. It's fucked me up even more.

I walk home and, again, the cars all slow down to stare at me even though it's almost pitch black. I'm actually expecting to see Chris again but I feel my heart ache when I see my house in the distance and realise I won't see him.

This is all so wrong - the way I'm doing this to him. But I'm just trying to not be selfish because I know that I will hurt him eventually. James knows how that works.

I walk up the stairs and get changed into my pyjamas, tucking myself into bed. My hand goes to my hair and I find grass still nestled into it.

Cba to do anything about it now. I'll take a shower in the morning.

*DREAM*

"Chris -"

"You like this, huh?"

"Yeah, fuck yeah."

"Bet James never gave it to you like I do."

I wake up. It's already eleven o'clock in the morning?

You don't have anything to wake up for anyway, remember, Faye?

Oh yeah.

Regardless, I have a shower, wrap a towel around me and blowdry my hair. After, I assume my day will just be filled with zzzz but when I go downstairs for a glass of water, my phone rings.

"Hello?"

"Hi Faye, it's Stephanie here."

"Who?"

"Stephanie. Stephanie Lowe?"

"Oh, hi there. Sorry. I didn't hear what you said," I lie. "Er... how did you get my number?"

"I hope you don't mind but when you didn't text me yours, I got Arthur to ask Chris for it."

"OK?"

She genuinely scares me.

"So, I'm meeting two of my girlfriends for coffee and I'd love it if you came with us."

"I don't drink coffee," I say. It's the truth but I hope she gets the message that I don't want to go.

She laughs. "You're so funny. There's not just coffee and anyway, it's not really about the drink, is it? It's about the social side to it. Do you want me to pick you up from your house?"

Not really, no.

"OK then."

I give her my address and then get ready.

--------------------------------------------------

A/N:

Idk why but I don't really like this chapter? It seems rushed even though it took me forever to write. Anyway, it will hopefully get better. :)

Thanks again for all of your support; it honestly means a lot to me. ♥♥♥