Chapter 18

- CHRIS' POV

The intro for Fuck For The Road starts and then comes the rapping. 

I love everything about being on stage - the lights, the smoke, the crowd. There's something about being a special guest that I love as well. I think it's the suspense when people are trying to guess who it is and then the screaming when they say your name.

I never know what to do when it's not my turn on stage so I awkwardly look around the crowd.

"... only in time we'll see..."

Wait. I blink twice at her. It's her? FAYE?!

"... hope to see you with me 'cos."

I stare at her as I start singing the chorus. I'm still in complete shock. "My heart beats for you, girl, you know you are the one. Are you mad at me? Girl, I know I made mistakes; I know I fucked up. But my heart beats for you, baby, I'mma go ahead and scream it loud. But if you leave there's something I can't control so let's do it one last time - fuck for the road."

The second verse starts and I shift my gaze away from Faye, aware now that everybody else in the crowd will be thinking I've gone crazy. What the fuck is she doing here? News of my appearance hadn't gone public prior but I honestly can't believe that this is a coincidence; she's got front row, for fuck's sake. She must have known somehow.

Or maybe it was just meant to be.

"... but my plan is to make, make you understand, make you understand that..."

I sing the chorus again but I don't look at Faye this time, instead moving across to the other side of the stage and looking up into the back rows. But every word I sing is still directed at Faye and I can feel my heart smashing through my ribcage. "My heart beats for you, girl, you know you are the one. Are you mad at me? Girl, I know I made mistakes; I know I fucked up. But my heart beats for you, baby, I'mma go ahead and scream it loud. But if you leave there's something I can't control so let's do it one last time - fuck for the road."

Then the bridge comes and I still sing it to Faye. "All I ever wanted was your happiness but right now let's get right down to it; let's handle this business. If you gonna leave me tonight, I gotta kiss it goodbye. Girl, I'm 'bout to make it cry and all I need is one more time 'cos my."

"Last time, best time, better than my next time..."

I glance over at Faye.

She's not there.

I don't even do weed anymore so she couldn't have been an hallucination. She was there, I swear. As clear as crystal. She was there.

I don't bother singing when it goes back to my turn. I storm through backstage and run out into the arena's corridors.

What the fuck was I thinking? She's not going to be here because she would have driven off by now; that's her style.

I walk outside and light up a cigarette.

- FAYE'S POV

Chris saw me. I didn't want him to think I was following him so I told Sandy that I was going to the restroom, hoping he'd think that he had just imagined me.

I'm sat in one of the cubicles, contemplating what happened and what I should do next.

I need to go back in there. I've left a 14 year old girl alone when I promised I would look after her.

I open up the cubicle and walk back.

"Sorry, Sandy," I say when I get there.

She ignores me.

My ears tune in to the current song - Deuces. Fuck. Chris must still be on.

But when I look up at the stage with excruciating eyes, only Tyga's there.

Chris has gone.

"You missed it. Chris Brown just walked off," Sandy, my mindreader, informs me.

Actually, I'm really hoping she can't read my mind.

"Why?" I ask, trying to keep it cool.

She shrugs and focuses her attention back to Tyga.

"Come on, Sandy. We're leaving," I announce.

She snarls at me. "What are you talking about? It's not finished yet."

I pause, trying to think of a great excuse. "The traffic afterwards is going to be so bad. This is the last song and it's nearly finished. We may as well just go now."

"No."

I sigh. "I'll pay you. Two hundred bucks?"

"More."

"Three hundred?"

"Deal."

I shake my head as we exit the arena.

When we get to the parking lot, I throw her my car keys. "You can go get in the car. I just need to do something."

Sandy catches them and rolls her eyes, walking away from me.

I know that I most probably won't find him but I need to make sure that Chris is OK. He wouldn't walk off the stage like that for no reason.

'Chris, where are you?' I text him.

I don't get a response and I don't find him. After ten minutes, I give up and go to the car.

"You said we'd dodge the traffic," Sandy complains as I climb in.

"Do you want that three hundred bucks or not?"

She goes back to being silent and I drop her off at her house - reluctantly giving her three hundred bucks - before driving home.