Chapter 25

- CHRIS’ POV

The next day, I visit Faye again.

I walk into the ward and spot her straight away. She looks so beautiful, so angelic. It’s hard to believe that she’s fighting demons inside.

She’s taking a sip from her glass of water and doesn’t notice me straightaway. 

“Hey beautiful,” I laugh. “Or should I say sweetheart?”

Her face lights up but she blushes at the same time. “Can I listen to the song again?”

I nod and take a seat beside her. “Sure.”

I pass her my phone and earphones and she listens to it again… and again… and again.

“Could you Bluetooth this to my phone, please?” she asks after the third time. “I want to be able to listen to it when you’re not here.”

“You said before that your phone's still at your house?” I say.

She thinks for a few seconds and then replies with, “Shit, yeah. I can’t believe I’ve survived this long without it.”

“Do you want me to go and get it?”

“Are you sure? I’ll be fine without it, you know.”

I kiss her cheek. “I’ll get it for you. Do you have the keys?”

“Thanks, Chris. And yep, they’re here.”

She hands me her house keys and I turn my head to smile at her as I walk away. She puckers up her lips and I laugh to myself.

I jump in the car and zoom off to Faye’s house.

I rest my hand on the open window and strum my fingers to the beat of the music blaring through the speakers. There’s only one thing missing. Faye. Although I know that it’s best for her to be in hospital, it kills me to see her there. She’s the most independent woman I have ever come across but there she is, unable to move out of her bed unaided. She’s so reliant on other people right now and I’ve never seen her depend on anyone else apart from herself.

When I pull up, I slowly walk up the drive to the front door. I shove the keys into the lock and swing it open.

I am overcome by the weirdest feeling as I close the door behind me and walk in. It’s so… empty. But empty empty, if that makes sense. Even the emptiness is empty.

It’s hard to explain.

Hopefully Faye didn’t feel what I’m feeling right now whenever she walked into the place.

She didn’t tell me exactly where her phone was so I look around the kitchen first.

Nope, not here.

I try the lounge.

Nope.

I go upstairs and into her bedroom.

The balcony’s doors are open and the curtains thrash around in the wind. 

I walk over to the balcony to close the doors.

Then I look out into the garden.

Blood is directly underneath the balcony.

I want to be sick.

My baby. Faye. Her blood? I know she tried to kill herself but seeing this is too much.

I quickly shut the balcony doors and press my back against them, my hands hitting the cold glass. That blood isn’t something that I should have to see. Nobody should have to see the blood of a loved one and know that they could have easily been killed.