Chapter:5

Raton, NM

My phone rang as my cousin called early afternoon. I picked it up realizing it was a FaceTime.
"Hey Ry."
"Hey Wy. How ya feelin'?" I asked him.
"Could be better."
"Please do tell."
He propped his phone up on something and wheeled back? When I saw that he lost most of his right leg it cut deep into me.
"Wyatt why didn't you tell me sooner?"
"I guess I didn't know how you'd react."
"Your my cousin your still alive. That's all that matters at this point." I told him.
"Should have seen that coming. I'm sorry I didn't tell you. The rest of the family already knows. That's why Cass loaded all of her stuff up and decided to go home."
"Wyatt I would have gone with her if I knew. You need to tell me or anyone that is farther away in the family so we know what's going on."
"Yeah I realize that now."
"So I guess I'll see you when I'm coming home for a day or so between rodeos."
"When will that be?"
"Probably the end of June."
"Ok see you then."
"You too cuz. Love you."
"Love you too Ry."

We hung up and I got dressed. It's not that I'm coming competing. The awards ceremony is tonight and I want to get it over with so I can just get my tack loaded and possibly get my own rig so I don't have to travel with Rob anymore.

After the awards were given I loaded my tack up and gear. Then gave my horses water. "Hey don't bother me tonight." Rob said. "Oh I was just going to pack and hit the road because of a family matter but I guess I can't hit the road tonight."

"Find someone else to travel with." He smarted off. "Fine I will." I mouthed. "Dad I'm leaving tonight. I'll be close to Belton tomorrow." I poked my head out seeing an acquaintance.

She hung up then turned around. "Heading to Texas?" I asked. "Belton to be correct." She said. "Mind if I go with you? I'm heading to Marshall." I told her. "That's four hours north of where I'm heading." She replied.

"I can have a family member come get me from there." I told her. "You sure you want to travel with me?" She asked. "I'll help pay for gas." I answered.

"Alright." She said. "Least your closer than my travel partner."

I moved my tack and gear to her four horse trailer while she loaded our horses. I grabbed my clothes and put them in the back seat of her ram.

We got in and hit the road. "Oh I'm Rylin." "Hedli's niece?" She asked. "How'd you guess." I asked. "I had a horse trained by Kelly Diaz and she told me to be on the look out for Heldi Ray's barrel racing niece." She said.

"I'm Wendy." She introduced. "Nice to meet you." We stopped at a gas station. I watched the tank as she ran in real quick to relieve herself. Then she let me.

Once the diesel tank was full we got back on the road. Rowdy by Gretchen Wilson came on over the radio. I turned up the radio as we cruised the interstate.

I fell asleep sometime and was woken up by Wendy for my turn to drive. I drove until ten in the morning for fuel. I stopped and woke Wendy up before getting out to fuel up.

I paid for it and we swapped. Two hours ago I called my dad to see if he was free to come and get me in Belton. He said he was going to get some horses from a guy there.

I got my breakfast after using the restroom and went back out. We drove the remaining two hours and finally pulled up at her place. Right away I noticed the Triple R flatbed truck and stock trailer.

When she stopped I jumped out. My dad greeted me warmly. "Hey Rye." Dad said as he engulfed me in his arms. Before I graduated high school dad would call me Rye bread.

I unloaded my horses and put them in the stock trailer. Then got my tack out and put it in the backseat with my clothes and luggage. Dad came out with two horses both hot tempered.

"Kelly said she couldn't work with these two." Wendy said. I went up to one and stroked its head. I stood close enough to its body so it couldn't bite, stomp or kick.

"Well let's get these fellas loaded and get back before dark." Dad told me. I took one from him and led them to the stock trailer. I fastened the door between my horses and those two so nothing would happen on the way home.

Then loaded and tied each horse up so they couldn't go anywhere. Dad closed and locked the door after I got out. We got in and started for home. I leaned against the window finally finding sleep.