Chapter 9

As predicted it went even worse than Niall had expected and defiantly not how Louis had planned for things to turn out. He had certainly not expected his laptop to end on the floor, the screen cracked. He had not expected for Niall to cry and yell that he hated them.

Liam kind of had. Of course it had been a bad idea to list down all the negative sides of Zayn – which he might say is a lot – and what probably tipped Niall over the edge was when Louis showed him all the girls he had slept with; Liam liked to point out it had been more than 20 slides.

Now here he was standing stiffly and guilty staring at Niall who was yelling at them to leave. Louis was standing next to him, cradling his destroyed laptop to his chest; his eyes wide with horror.

“You’re supposed to support me!” Niall cried through the tears and Liam wanted to comfort him but was nailed to the ground. “I don’t want anything to do with you anymore! Get the fuck out!”

His yelling reached all the way down the kitchen where his mother was, because seconds later she barged through the door. She took one look between them, before her eyes hardened. Louis and Liam gulped; Niall was an only child so his mother was very overprotective of him. She walked over, and Niall allowed her to draw him close.

“I think it’s best you leave,” She said and forced a stiff smile. Louis and Liam nodded, before scurrying out of the room. Their stomach twisted as they heard Niall tell his mother he hated them; well, it can be safely said they failed epically.

….

The next morning, Niall kissed Zayn and held him tight, telling himself that this was right; this was what he wanted. If his friends didn’t accept his choice, then maybe they had never been friends to begin with. “You can eat lunch with me,” Zayn had breathed against his lips and Niall had taken him up for on the offer.

He had ignored Harry’s deeply hurt look when he’d pointedly ignored him in the hall, and he hadn’t taken his usual seat between Liam and Hannah in the classes. It was obvious things were serious. Louis had tried to talk to him, but he’d ignored any approach by the older boy. He would never forgive him for showing him all those girls Zayn had slept with, because it had hurt him deeper than he would admit.

Once it reached lunch, Zayn was waiting for him in front of the entrance to the cafeteria. Some other girl was hanging all over him and Niall’s jaw clenched tightly as he remembered all the girls Louis had ranted off. Zayn caught sight of him and pointedly ignoring the girl, he smirked at him. The girl followed his gaze and glared at Niall; the blonde was a little intimidated by her and tried to avoid her eyes. When he reached Zayn he realized it was the first time they were seen together.

“Come on,” Zayn said and waved him along. Niall stiffly ignored all the eyes on him and he knew they were probably wondering what he was doing with Zayn; he really hoped they didn’t find out. Niall’s chest tightened as his eyes automatically travelled to his usual table. All his friends were sitting there looking at him. Harry was staring at him with a deeply hurt look, and he hurried to look away.

They neared Zayn’s usual table, and the nervousness in Niall only increased; Zayn’s friends looked a little intimidating and weird. The only girl at the table had fiery red hair with side-swept bangs, a lip ring and violet contacts; she looked a little scary. Then there was a guy with a small white puppy in his lap; he was feeding him his lunch and Niall wondered how he’d sneaked it into school. He had shaggy brown hair, chestnut brown eyes and looked a little feral. The last guy sitting at the table had ash-toned brown hair with long bangs falling over his unsettling grey eyes.

Niall was anything but comfortable when Zayn pushed him next to the grey-eyed boy, and he wished he could be invisible at will when they all turned their curious eyes on him.