Chapter 5

Niall really, really disliked his math teacher. You know that one teacher who seemingly had made it his goal in life to make your high school experience a hell? Well, Mr. Powell was Niall’s personal torturer.

Maybe Niall had been a little late, but was that really enough reason to scream at him out in the hallways? Niall just stared at the man before him; everything about him was long and thin, his face, his nose, his thin lips and his squinty light blue eyes. He always wore the same seat of clothes to school; a dull brown pullover sweater and black dress pants.

Niall got lost in his rant and his eyes swept around the empty hallway. His eyes widened a little when they fell on Zayn who was walking down the adjacent hall. The dark-haired boy stopped up momentarily, his eyes flickering between the still ranting teacher and Niall. Niall looked away; how embarrassing. When he chanced another look; Zayn was gone.

Finally his teacher let him join the rest of the class and he heavily dumped down between Liam and Hannah. He nodded quietly to both of them in reply. He didn’t dare talk in fear his teacher would skin him alive.

Only when they were told to do some exercises did Niall breathe freely. “What’s up, Nialler,” Liam said as he gazed a little worried at him. “Ugh… hate this class,” Niall mumbled. “… you’ve been really distracted lately,” Liam said with a frown and Niall tensed a little. “I have?” He asked nervously and Liam nodded. “Yeah, that book you’re flipping through is you Economic book.”

Niall blushed deeply when he noticed Liam was right, and he groaned deeply. “I am just… stressed, I guess,” He mumbled and asked Hannah if he could look with her.

“If there’s something wrong, you know you can always talk to me, yea?” Liam reminded with a soft smile, and Niall felt guilty. He turned to him and squeezed his shoulder. “I know, Li and thanks.”

Maybe he could talk to Liam about anything, but he could certainly not talk about Zayn.

Finally the class was over, and Niall couldn’t get out the class fast enough. However, his teacher had of course to hold him back.

“Detention tomorrow, Mr. Horan.”

Niall had to bit his tongue from insulting the man and grudgingly stomped out of the class. Hannah’s and Liam’s comforting pats on his shoulders didn’t do much to comfort him.

Life just sucked sometimes.

Niall didn’t see Zayn for another couple of nights, and he would never admit that he got anxious. He didn’t know why he didn’t have the boy’s number or anything like that. The third night when Zayn dropped by at midnight, Niall had been wide awake.

Maybe Niall greeted him a little too enthusiastically – he hadn’t even scolded him for sneaking in through the window again – when he’d grabbed Zayn and pulled him down for a heated kiss. After a few minutes of kissing and touching, Zayn pulled away with a small chuckle.

“Someone missed me,” He teased, and Niall just smirked back. “Bet you missed me more.” He shot back and gave Zayn a cheeky grin. “You might just be right,” Zayn confessed and dived down, claiming Niall’s lips in another kiss.

“Come on, we have somewhere to go,” Zayn said as he ignored Niall’s protest and climbed off of him. “Really? What now?” Niall groaned even though he was already climbing out of the bed as well. He might not even realize it yet, but at this point, he was willing to do about anything Zayn told him to.

“It’s a surprise,” Zayn said with a mischievous glint in his eyes. “Ah, I like surprises,” Niall replied halfheartedly as he followed Zayn out of the balcony after throwing on some clothes. This time Zayn had brought his car, and Niall was a little disappointed that he couldn’t cling to Zayn on his bike.