Chapter 20

“Hello?”

There was a slight waver in Niall’s voice, and his heart was beating loudly in his chest. There was a small pause on the other end, and this only attributed to Niall’s suspicion. He found himself wishing that no one replied, but the luck wasn’t on his side.

“Harry?” A smooth, deep,familiar voice said on the other end, and Niall closed his eyes, his stomach churning. He tried to tell himself that his brain was playing a trick on him, and that many people had similar voices over the phone. However, the more he kept telling himself, the more did he realize he knew that it indeed was…

“Nathan,” Niall breathed out heavily and his hand tightened around the phone when there was a little too long pause on the other end; there was something terribly wrong with this picture – Harry and Nathan knowing each other – and all kind of scenarios flew through Niall’s mind; he swallowed. “Why are you calling, Harry?” Niall was surprised by the snap in his voice, and he could feel a wave of protectiveness wash over him; all that was going through his mind at the moment were Chad’s words.

“…is it Niall?” Nathan finally spoke, and his voice was filled with genuine surprise. Niall wetted his lips, and once again swallowed around the lump in his throat.

“…Yes,” Niall replied after a brief pause.

“Oh! I thought you sounded familiar!” The familiar warmth and friendliness in Nathan’s voice confused Niall. “How are you doing? I haven’t seen you in a while.” Niall was really confused now and wasn’t sure how to act.

“Uh, I am fine,” He replied, his guards still up. “How do you know Harry?” He tried to ask as casually as he could, but the suspicion sneaked into his voice.

“We met a week back,” Nathan replied, and Niall could hear the smile in his friendly tone with his next words. “He’s a nice kid.”

“He’s underage,” Niall blurted out before he could stop himself, and his eyes widened as he slammed a hand against his mouth. What was he doing? He just right-out implied that Nathan and Harry had something together, but why else would Nathan call Harry?

“I know,” Nathan sounded a little confused on the other end. “But… what does that has to do with anything?”

The way Nathan asked that last question made Niall feel guilty for reason he wasn’t so sure of; maybe it had something to do with the fact that he was judging Nathan based on Chad’s words only, but then again, Chad knew Nathan better than him. The boy had been Zayn’s friends for God knows how long, so he probably knew better, but what if Chad actually just wanted to scare Niall away? Niall’s confusing train of thoughts was cut short by Nathan’s voice.

“I assume he isn’t there to take the phone,” Nathan said. “It would be much appreciated if you could tell him I called. See you, Niall.”

“See you,” Niall said automatically, and before he could ask anything, the line went dead. That left Niall sitting there and staring at Harry’s phone with wide eyes while the same question repeated in his mind; What exactly was going on here? Harry certainly had a lot of explaining to do.

As if on cue, the door opened as Harry entered the room. Niall’s eyes snapped up and the blonde stared at him. Harry had been wearing a smile when he entered the room; however, the smile fell a little when their eyes met. The younger boy’s gaze quickly flickered between the phone in Niall’s hand and Niall’s eyes, and Niall could just see how he was putting two and two together.

“Niall?” He smiled a bit nervously, but Niall was already on his feet and he more or less shoved the phone into Harry’s face.

“Can you explain to me why Nathan, Zayn’s brother is calling you, Harry?” Niall asked and tried to control the panic building up inside of him. “Why didn’t you tell me you knew him? That you ‘met’ him – I am not even sure I want to know what that means – a week ago?!” Niall’s control slipped, and he was already freaking out. “Harry, I thought-”