Chapter 11

Early the same evening, Niall got a surprise visit by all of his friends. They were all cramped inside of his room, and he was happy they weren’t there to talk about why he shouldn’t be with Zayn.

“We all talked,” Liam smiled and waved around them. “And we all just want you to know that from now on, whatever you decide on we’ll support you.”

“We can’t change your decision,” Danielle smiled at him. “We have no right to try either.”

“W-we a-are still y-your friends,” Hannah played with the hem of her shirt and managed a weak smile.

“I am sorry for behaving as I did,” Harry said quietly, and there was something different about him that Niall couldn’t point out immediately. “I should have behaved more like a friend.”

“Yeah, if you want to be Zayn’s plaything then go….” Louis trailed off, his eyes wide in shock at his own words – that had defiantly not been what he wanted to say – the smile that had been creeping onto Niall’s face fell. Everyone was staring at Louis incredulously.

Louis glanced guilty at Harry who was glaring daggers at him.

“I didn’t mean that, you know how I say things I don’t mean, and that was definitely one of those things I don’t mean. Did I mention-“

“Louis,” Liam hissed and cut his rant off. “Be quiet.” He turned to smile nervously at Niall who looked a little hurt. “He didn’t mean that,” He seconded, before moving forward and hugging the blonde. The others soon followed, Louis a little later than the others and before long they were all huddled up in a big group hug.

Niall could feel the tears of relief and happiness pressing as he tried to close his arms around all of his friends.

“Thanks… it means so much.”

….

After they all stayed at Niall’s place just talking, laughing and having a good time, they decided it was time to leave after a good 2 hours. The blonde was happy and would maybe have been ecstatic if it wasn’t for the sudden tension he felt between him and Louis and then there seemed to be something wrong with Harry; he was tempted to think it was something he was imagining, but the feeling wouldn’t go away.

He followed them out of the door and hugged them all goodbye; well, except Louis who didn’t even bother wait for a hug and had walked ahead to the cars. Harry stayed a little behind as the others walked away.

“Harry?” Niall looked curiously at him as the boy stood there and the light breeze ruffled up in his dark curls. “Ni…” Harry trailed off with an almost painful smile, and that’s when Niall realized what was different with Harry was his eye; they seemed dimmer, a little lifeless and why did he first now notice the faint dark rings under his eyes? Niall’s worry was sparked and he stepped closer to the boy. “Harry?” He said quietly and touched his arm. “Are you alright?”

Harry looked like he wanted to say something, but then decided against it.

“I’ve missed you,” He whispered, and Niall’s heart melted. He moved closer and locked his arms around the taller boy in a tight hug. Harry immediately returned the hug as he closed his arms around Niall’s waist. “I’ve missed you too, Harry,” Niall breathed softly into his ear and giggled a little when Harry’s curls tickled his neck. He then got an idea.

“Do you want to hang out tomorrow?” He asked brightly. “Just the two of us?”

Harry pulled a little away and looked at him.

“Really?” His eyes were big and hopeful, and Niall didn’t understand the doubt; it wasn’t like the first time they hung out together. He nodded energetically. “Yeah!” He beamed. “We could go and watch a move, eh? I think there are some good ones running in the cinema.”