Chapter 17 - New York City

"This is amazing!" I exclaimed as Mathias and me stepped out of JFK airport.

The air was a lot colder here than in California and there was already snow covering the ground.

"April Taxi's here" Mathias said, snapping me out of my daze.

We climbed into one of New York's famous yellow taxis, putting our suitcases into the boot.

We then sat off towards Manhattan. I looked out of the window in wonder. The sky was still dark as it was still pretty early and in the distance I could see the lights of the city gleaming.

The taxi went through a tunnel but when it emerged from the other side, we were welcomed into Manhattan with an incredible view. Tall skyscrapers lit up with lights surrounded us. The busy streets filled with people, cars, taxis. I watched out of the window with amazement as we drove past the famous Macys store, the Rockerfeller Center and more.

It was true that this was the city that never sleeps.

"Here you go guys" The taxi driver said in his New York accent as we pulled up outside our hotel.

As we stepped out, I noticed we were right across the road from Madison Square Garden. Awesome!

The only slightly negative thing was that the name of our hotel was Hotel Pennsylvania. I chose to just ignore it.

We thanked the taxi driver before he drove away and we headed into the hotel.

We went up to the check in desk and got our room key.

"Floor 15, room 32" Mathias said looking down at the paper work he'd been given.

"Let's go!" I said excitedly pulling my suitcase towards a nearby lift.

"There's so many buttons" I said as we stepped into the old looking lift.

"Don't ever think about doing a a Buddy the elf and press them all" Mathias said clicking the one for the 15th floor.

"Would I do that?" I asked him, flashing an innocent smile.

"Yeah you would" He replied, smiling.

"Eh true" I shrugged.

When the lift dinged and reached our floor we stepped out and looked down the multiple corridors.

"This place is like a maze." Mathias said standing next to me and looking around.

"Look there's a sign over there" I said walking over to the wall nearby.

"Room 32 this way" I then said pointing down the corridor on the left.

"Let's get going, we can ditch our bags then go find some food or something, I'm stared" Mathias said beginning to walk down the corridor, dragging his case behind him.

"Sounds like a plan." I smiled before dashing off down the corridor.

"Erm April, you can't get in without the key" He shouted, holding it up.

"Hurry up then" I joked, now standing outside our room.

Once we made it into the room I dropped my suitcase against the wall and flopped on one of the two double beds.

"Hey April look out the window" Mathias said, looking out of it himself.

After getting up and walking over to join him, I was greeted by an incredible view of the Empire State building with the sun rising behind it.

"Thank you so much for this Mathias." I said looking out of the window at the incredible view.

Below us, people were already rushing around on the street trying to get to work on time.