Gem of Ice

"Be careful on your journey okay Y/N?" said my mom as she gave me a hug.

Both Dahyun and I were outside by the palace doors with our moms. She hugged her mother as well. We both looked at each other and swam out together. Dahyun looked at me and smirked.

"May the best mermaid win," she said.

"Dahyun-ah, I hope you know that no matter what happens, you'll always be my little sister okay?"

She scoffed and swam off with one of her mother's servants. Yuygeom was by my side because I had chosen him as my assistance. I kept wondering if I should tell him about the engagement but maybe that can wait until later. I'm not even guaranteed to be the heir anyways.

"Shall we go?" he asked sweetly.

I nodded with a smile.

"So where should we head to first?" he asked.

"I'm thinking...let's find the gem of ice first."

"Is there any particular reason why?" he asked.

"It sounds interesting," I replied.

"Ahh I should've known. You're not taking this seriously are you?" he asked.

"I'm interested but I don't really care if I'm queen or not," I answered.

"But you can be my queen," he said as he placed his arm around me.

"Aish. What am I? Your friend?" I asked.

"Of course not, why would you ask that?" he asked with wide eyes.

I pointed to the arm around me.

"You do that with everyone, even Bammie," I said pouting.

"Ayyy noona you're my favorite though," he said with a sly smile.

"Tch. Noona? That makes me feel old."

"Why? You are my noona. Right?" he said with a baby like voice.

"Stop it!"

I turned away and pouted. He quickly pecked my cheeks and wrapped his arms around me for a warm hug.

"Say Yugyeom...have you been working out?"

"Hmmm why would you say that?"

"Your arms muscles feel tighter and your shoulders look broader," I said as I poked his left arm.

He blushed and cleared his throat.

"Even if other mermaids want you, remember, you're mine got that?" I said as I poked his cheeks.

"Alright alright. I already know that and there's no need to worry. All I want is you," he said.

"Okay so. Gem of ice...what exactly can that be? Something cold and probably gem like?" I said out loud.

Then it hit me, the deeper you go into the ocean, the colder it is. I swam down, away from the town. It was dark and chilly and though I didn't know what I was looking for, I kept my eyes opened. Yugyeom followed me cluelessly.

"Where are we going?"

"Ah. There!"

I pointed to a huge white iceberg that laid on the ocean floor.

"How is that possible?" asked Yugyeom.

"I don't know."

"I don't think it even existed before," he said.

"We did swim out pretty far while we were talking though," I said.

"You're right. No one has ever been here before. It's too far from the town."