Chapter 10: Beating Around The Bush

Evelyn sniffled as the door opened, her mother's face appearing after. Lottie took in the sight of Sam's arm around her daughter and how Evelyn appeared to be trembling.

"Did I..." Lottie began, watching as Sam and Evelyn both turned around so their heads were facing Lottie. She took notice of how Evelyn's eyes looked slightly gray and how her nose was red, a sign she had been crying. "Interrupt something?"

"Uh." Sam started, his arm dropping off of Evelyn as the younger spun herself around so her entire body faced her mom. "No. No, everything's good."

"How about it, Evie?" Lottie said, leaning against the door frame, smirking. She knew that the old nickname would crack her daughter.

"Everything's good, Mom." Evelyn said, smiling slightly after. All signs of sadness in her voice and body language were gone, only a sniffle is heard followed by the sleeve of Evelyn's hoodie wiping her nose. "We're good."

Lottie opened her arms slightly and Evelyn stood up, pushing herself against her mother as they hugged. Evelyn tucked her head under Lottie's chin and allowed herself to be enveloped by her mother, closing her eyes for a moment. Lottie dropped a kiss on the top of Evelyn's head and they released each other, Sam standing up and walking past Lottie into the living room while the woman shut the door behind her.

When they entered the living room, Dean was sitting on the couch with his elbows on his knees, head bowed and twiddling with his thumbs. Sam knew he wasn't praying, but he was hit with a flash of how Evelyn had been twiddling her fingers not only moments ago. Maybe they really were related.

Sam's eyes locked with Dean's as he entered the living room, Dean's body language silently pleading 'help me.' Sam gave him a mischievous grin and followed Lottie to the kitchen, leaving Evelyn and Dean in the living room. Evelyn sat on the couch opposite of Dean and grabbed the remote to the T.V, turning it on. The first thing that popped up was Doctor Sexy, and Evelyn rolled her eyes. Her mother watched this show enough as is; she didn't want to see more of it. She reached her arm up to point the remote at the cable box to change the channel, but Dean stopped her.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa." Dean said, his eyes narrowing at the younger. "No changing of the channels."

Evelyn looked at Dean with a typical 'are-you-kidding-me' face. "It's my T.V." Evelyn snapped, turning her eyes back to the T.V to change the channel. Dean reached his hand over and snatched the remote out of Evelyn's hand, causing her to stare at him with an angry look on her face.

"Well, I'm older, short stop." Dean said snarkily, leaning back against the couch with a smug smile on his face. Evelyn huffed and crossed her arms over her chest, leaning back against the couch too. Lottie and Sam watched from the kitchen, Lottie smiling softly and Sam chuckling quietly.

"They really are alike, huh?" Lottie asked quietly, Sam barely being able to hear her.

"Yeah, I guess so." Sam said, finally agreeing with Evelyn's theory.

"So, I guess Evelyn told you?" Lottie asked, her voice still low as she turned around to the pot of coffee and pouring a mug. She slid it to Sam across the counter as he contemplated his reply.

"Yeah, she did." Sam said, taking a sip of the coffee. It was still surprisingly hot. "Is she right?" Lottie took a deep breath and let it out slowly as she let her eyes slide shut.

"She always was a smart and nosy kid." Lottie said calmly, opening her eyes. "She realized she was the only kid in her class without a dad in first grade. So, I told her that story. The one where Dean and John went around killing monsters and protecting people." She paused. "I remembered vaguely Dean telling me about you, so I threw you in there too, just in case." Lottie and Sam both chuckled. "I told Dean how I got a DNA test done after she was born. It was a match. I never told her that he was a hunter. I never even knew she followed you guys out there."

"We didn't either until she stepped in to help." Sam said, regretting it as Lottie's eyes went wide.

"She stepped in?" Lottie asked, trying to keep her voice low. She then bit her lip and laughed slightly. "Of course she did. She sure as hell didn't get it from me."

"So, how did you meet Dean?" Sam asked, curiosity getting the best of him.

"He was here on a werewolf hunt." Lottie said, turning her eyes to the two in the living room. "Interviewed me because one of my neighbors' dogs had died and the heart was gone. The thing came after me and he barged in and killed it. Then it just... happened."

Sam tried not to cringe at the mention of his brother's personal life. It was quiet, all four of the people in the house looking at the show playing on the television screen.

"Did you tell him?" Sam asked. Lottie nodded carefully.

"I told him about the DNA test." Lottie replied. "I showed him the papers so he would believe me. He's taking it better than I expected."

"He doesn't seem to be freaking out or anything." Sam said, sipping his coffee again. Lottie looked at him as if that was a bad thing. "Which is good, I mean. That's good. Is Evelyn going to tell him?"

"No." Lottie said, her eyes flickering from the screen to the two people on the couch. "She won't. She'll wait for me to confirm it." Sam turned to look back at Lottie, who looked tired. "Maybe I should just say it. They'll just awkwardly sit there together if I don't."

"Maybe." Sam said, realizing they were all beating around the bush. Sam looked back over at Evelyn and Dean, seeing they were both standing up with Dean holding the remote above his head at full arms reach with Evelyn trying to jump up and grab it.

"You know, Dean." Sam said, getting Dean's eyes to turn to him. "For your rugrat, she sure is short."

Dean and Evelyn both stopped in their movements, both of them looking at Sam. Their mouths both slightly dropped, and their eyes went semi-wide at the exact same time. Dean turned to Evelyn, looking down at her. Evelyn turned to Dean, looking up at him. Dean's entire demeanor changed, and he dropped the remote on the couch. Dean stared at Evelyn like how he stared their friends; like how he would look at Charlie and Kevin.

Evelyn suddenly closed the small space between them, wrapping her arms tightly around Dean's middle and pressing her cheek against the material of his t-shirt. His leather jacket was cold against her bare forearms, and Dean stood there awkwardly for a moment, not sure what to do with his hands. He suddenly wrapped them around Evelyn's shoulders, cupping the back of her head slightly with one of his large hands.

It was quite comedic, really. Here, you have Dean Winchester, an over six feet tall guy, hugging a munchkin like Evelyn. She only went up to Dean's neck, and she was standing on her tiptoes, which just made Lottie giggle slightly. Sam and Lottie turned and looked at each other, grinning.

Lottie just grinned even bigger when she saw a tear slip from Evelyn's eye.