Chapter 32: Trickster

Warnings: Mentions of suicide, death.

<><><><><>

The people that Sam and Dean had met were the kindest individuals Evelyn had crossed paths with.

Of course, she had realized they were dead from the beginning. Bobby had walked her back outside and she sat with Dean for a while as he spoke with a tall, semi-muscular guy with a mullet and a bandanna around his head. Evelyn learned his name was Ash, and he assisted in running a bar with a woman named Ellen, and her daughter, Jo in upstate Kansas. They were all three incredibly kind and had welcoming smiles. Evelyn took note of the scarred over burns on Jo's arms and the faded claw marks that peeked out from the collar of Ellen's shirt.

Evelyn noticed everyone that was unfamiliar to her, and how they had some distinguishing blemish or scar that related to (what Evelyn assumed) how they died. Jo had to have been in some type of fire, and Ellen's claw marks had Evelyn assuming she had been mauled by a werewolf or a hell hound. Bobby said he had a mark from a bullet grazing his head when he and John were in a demon fight, so Evelyn to believed he had been shot in the head. Benny, a good friend of Dean's from New Orleans, had one long faded pink line across his neck, where he mentioned he had run into a barbed wire fence when going duck hunting before Evelyn had been born. The mention gave Evelyn chills, and she knew Benny had more to tell then he was letting on.

Charlie had been one of the first ones to come up to Evelyn, sparking up a conversation with her about Harry Potter and the new Trials of Apollo book that had been released. She had no visible scars that Evelyn could see, and neither did Kevin Tran, the only person closest to Evelyn's age at the whole gathering. He slightly annoyed Evelyn because all he had done in the time she was around him was talking about how difficult college was, but when Sam came by and hit him in the back of the head to shut Kevin up, Evelyn cracked a smile.

It was almost completely dark out when Dean and Benny began to pile wood in the fire pit on the porch to begin to roast s'mores. Most everyone was inside except for Sam, Jess, Chuck, an unfamiliar man, Dean, and Benny. Evelyn sat in a patio chair on her own, playing on her phone, when Bobby came over from inside, pulling up a chair next to her and folding his hands together. He looked up at Evelyn, green eyes wide with concern as Evelyn looked back at him, closing out her game and giving her full attention to Bobby Singer.

"How's it goin', short stack?" Bobby asked, relaxing into his chair slightly. Evelyn bit the inside of her cheek and looked back down at her phone. Her finger pushed the power button out of habit, her lock screen appearing in front of her. The photo was the exact same as it was in her world: a candid selfie of her, Sam, and Dean, all three of them laughing. She was on Sam's back, the photo slightly blurry because Sam had tripped right when it was taken, which had caused Evelyn to start laughing and Dean to get serious because he had been ready to catch his brother if he fell. Evelyn could remember when it was taken; the three of them had stopped for lunch at a roadside diner on the way to the Oklahoma-Kansas border to drop Evelyn back off with Lottie. This had been the first time Evelyn had been returned home, the time when Lucifer had pretended to be Castiel when he sent Dean back in time to find the Hand of God.

"Huh?" Evelyn asked softly, turning her eyes back to a concerned Bobby, pushing the homesickness out of her mind. "I'm sorry. I didn't hear you."

Bobby chuckled. "Yeah, I can see that. I asked how you were doin', Ev. You seem a little more settled in now." Evelyn shrugged and looked over Bobby's shoulder at the unfamiliar man sitting next to Chuck on the couch, laughing at something Sam had said.

"Who's that guy by Chuck?" Evelyn asked. Bobby turned around and looked at the man, who was listening intently to something Jess was saying from her spot on Sam's lap on another patio chair adjacent to the couch.