❁Twenty-Six❁

They reached the impala with both of them out of breath but only one with joy lighting up his face. Castiel's expression had completely melted into distraught without him even realising. And as soon as Dean realised, he stopped smiling too.

"You okay?" Dean asked as he leant on the top of the impala to see Cas on the otherside and furrowed his brows. Castiel suddenly realised the face he was pulling and replaced it with a gleam, forgetting about what... Who he had just seen.

"Yeah, of course. I'm great." Cas reassured him, opening the passenger door of the impala and slumping into the seat, Dean doing the same a moment later. The pair sat in silence for a second. Cas could feel Dean's emerald eyes on him, trying to read him like a book, trying to figure out what he was thinking. Obviously it would never work though. "Dean..." Cas broke the silence.

"Yeah?" Dean asked softly.

"Thankyou." Cas stated, meeting his ocean eyes with Dean's.

"For what?" Dean implored. Of course he already knew. He just wanted to know exactly what Cas was thinking.

"For standing up to Charles like that." Cas paused and exhaled. "I could've never done it. Never had the balls to say something back to him. Never had the courage to talk back. I have always known he's a bad man. And not just the morally wrong men – he's seriously damaged in one way or another. I guess that might be why he is like he is. But he sure as hell deserved that Dean. So thank you." Cas babbled quickly, all of his words truthful as he twiddled his thumbs. He was never good at heartfelt conversations.

Dean smiled weakly. "You're welcome Cassie."

"And uh... About what you said..." Cas added and Dean furrowed his brows again.

"Which part?"

"Dean. I love you too. I don't know if what you said to Charles, you said just to spite him but honestly. Really honestly. I do. I love you Dean Winchester." Cas sealed his lips in anticipation, waiting for Dean's reaction. He suddenly heard himself, fully taking in what he had just said. It made his heart beat against his ribcage and a sick feeling rise in his stomach but he didn't show it.

Dean pondered on it for a moment. Then smirked. He leaned over to Cas with his hand behind Cas' head and placed a small, gently kiss on Cas' lips. They separated for a second before their lips slammed into each other's again. Cas' fingers became interlocked at the back of Dean's neck, pulling him toward Cas further. He couldn't get enough.

It only lasted a few heated seconds but the pair realised they were sitting in a car, in the middle of a street with various groups of people ambling around. They separated again but kept their hands in place and foreheads pressed together.

"Good thing I wasn't lying then." Dean whispered before biting his bottom lip gently. Cas giggled a little before they both returned to their original stances.

"Home?" Cas said hopefully.

"Home." Dean repeated, clearing his throat. And with that, they drove off.

Again, driving for hours, out of Missouri and into Kansas. Cas didn't feel sleepy the entirety of the ride home. Just happy. Despite what a terrible day it was, having Madelyn's funeral and bumping into Charles, he knew he could trust Dean. He knew that no matter how much bad came his way, Dean would be there to make it better, to make him smile. And that's all Cas had ever wanted.