Chapter 22

Nico POV
Will's arms tightened around my waist, unconsciously holding me closer in his sleep. I was laying on his chest under the covers, his wings splayed to the side underneath him, mine spilling to the sides of me. I rested my chin on the back of my bandaged wrists, studying Will. I took a shaky breath, eyes fluttering as I tried not to let the tears fall, not wanting to wake Will.
"Nico?"
"Yeah?" I whispered, voice hoarse, thick with trying not to cry. So much for not waking him.
"Are you crying?"
"No."
He pressed his palm to my cheek.
"Liar," he murmured, using his thumb to wipe my cheek, which I hadn't realized was wet. A sob escaped me, and Will turned on his side, pulling me closer.
"Hey, hey, it's OK, look. I, I'm sorry, Nico. I really am."
I wrapped an arm around Will's neck, gripping at him, as I cried. Will hushed me, rubbing gentle circles on my back.
"I'm sorry, I'm sorry," I mumbled repeatedly.
"Nico, Love, listen to me."
I hiccuped, looking up at Will.
"Nico, you shouldn't, it, it wasn't your fault." Will closed his eyes, tilting his head down until his forehead rested against mine. My eyes fluttered shut, stray tears slipping down my cheeks.
"I shouldn't have left. I just felt like, like, I don't know you anymore. You have three tattoos-"
"Four." I whispered, cringing slightly. How'd he not notice the large tattoo on my lower back? Tattoo's above, I know in the picture it's the guy's arm, but in the story, it's on Nico's lower back, and instead of vertical, it's horizontal, and slightly smaller.
"Four tattoos, and you were a tattoo artist! I don't fit in with any of your friends, Damasen, Bob, everyone there! You and Damasen obviously had something and-"
"We don't and never did." I interrupted. I needed him to understand. "Damasen and I never had anything. We were close, yes. Together? No."
Will was silent, and I ducked my head under his chin, pressing my cheek to his neck.
"Nico," Will spoke, breaking the silence after a few minutes.
"Hmm?" I muttered, mind clouded, half asleep.
Will cupped my cheek, tilting it up. "I love you."
My heart fluttered, and a sleepy smile spread across my face.
"I love you too," I slurred, and Will pulled me closer. I let out a sigh, sinking into sleep. I felt Will brush my hair back, and place a kiss on my forehead, before he rested his chin on my head.

Will POV

I was awake long after Nico fell asleep. I played gently with his hair, guilt swimming through me. I left, and he hurt himself. I sighed, nuzzling my nose into his hair. "I'm not leaving, never again. I promise."