CHAPTER 5- Spirit: Great Eats

I killed a mouse on the way back, a swift and easy blow to the neck.

It had taken a couple trips to fetch all of the prey we had gotten, but that didn't bother me at all because we hadn't had such eats in ages.

And what was better.. it wasn't even that hard to catch it! All the prey here was fat and lazy; not used to being hunted because most of it was either trapped in a cage or scurrying around here happily. The cats around here, no matter how many, must have really been pets to not hunt for their prey.

Fallan wasn't back yet, for some reason, and me nor Hannah wanted to go find her.

I would much rather lie down and feast at the comfortable spot that my sister had picked out. She would come back eventually, anyways- she wasn't so dumb to the point where she would forget where our resting place was.

Well, she could be.... But hopefully not this time.

If so, I'd have to go get her because Hannah would argue and want to stay and guard our food stash if I left, probably storing her favorite piece to share with Fallan.

I stretched my jaws in a huge yawn and Hannah soon did as well. My closed eyes while sitting up told me I'd reached maximum tiredness, listening to the rain pelting the roof outside. It was softer than it had been earlier. We would be able to leave with clear skies tomorrow morning.

"Well, we're going to eat good tonight!" Hannah meowed while raising her green eyes to me, trying to fill the silence with unnecessary words.

I bet she'd also been trying to keep me awake, so she had someone to talk to, too.
The skinny cheetah had rolled over on her side now, grinning and playing with a piece of dried grass. She looked lazily bored and tired, and as if she needed a good wash badly.

I could easily see what she was doing.

"Fine, I'll go find her!" I got to my paws grumpily and stretched each limb equally. My legs felt like some cat had put boulders on them and they hadn't stopped walking in weeks. Which, they had barely stopped walking in a long time.

"Okay," Hannah answered, smiling brightly. I glared into her bright green eyes for a second only half-jokingly, then turned to pad out of the open corner we were going to stay in for the night. This half-wall was filled with dry grass to keep us comfortable, and a light shone from straight above to keep the box-den warm and lit. Our motion had turned it on, so I imagined whatever human thing it was would turn back off when all was still.

Licking my lips at the thought of finding Fallan so we could eat, I pounced forward and shook out my fur.

As soon as I turned to leave the entrance, my head painstakingly collided with Fallan's. I stared at her in astonishment for a second, thinking to make a joke suddenly.

"What are you doing here? The Skycat said you were dead!"

I meowed with laughter as she started to panic, but apparently that wasn't enough to get her to realize I was just kidding.

Maybe she'd hit her head too many times, against trees and rocks and the ground.

"WHAT? No way! I wasn't gone that long. WAS I? Oh no! I'm-"

I cut her off with a short hiss, immediantly annoyed.

This was what happened when you tried to make a joke with someone like Fallan. She seemed unable to remotely understand sarcasm, as if she knew that made me more offended.

"You're not dead, you weasel-brain. Now where were you?"

She stopped her rampage and let her fur lie flat again, the corners of her mouth twitching into a smile. Her eyes were less panicked now, thankfully.