CHAPTER 31- Midnight: What's Right

My nerves exploded as I heard Fallan's snooty remark, causing me to almost open my mouth and do what was right, because these cats were treating Spirit way too wrong.

That was it!

I would never understand how Spirit took this, listening to her complain all the time all the while controlling her claws from reaching out and scratching her sister's always-open muzzle. Maybe that would shut her up!

"Excuse me." I shoved past Spirit's leg, emerging out from behind her, and flattened my ears to my skull.

Thankfully the fat cheetah was not that much taller than me, so I glared up at her in defiance.

This lazy, fat bum had no right to speak to Spirit like that.

"How dare you. Spirit is doing her best to care for you and everyone else, and you still have the nerve to disrespect her? If you can't realize that everything she does is in yours and everyone else's best interest then you are an idiot!" I spat and fluffed out my fur while she stared at me I'm astonishment. Her wide-open eyes and mouth gave me the confidence to carry on.

"You are so rude, Fallan. Look around! There is nowhere else to sleep, unless you want to walk for another two days to get out of here without sleeping so you can find yourself a proper nest, because all there is for another two turns of the Great Paw is this." I panted on the last sentence, out of breath from speaking so fast.

She tried to speak, but I didn't let her. I wanted the stubborn cat to get something through her thick skull.

"And by complaining all the time you're only showing everyone that you're weak and annoying. How would you like it if we'd stopped earlier and the wolves had caught us and we'd all gotten slaughtered? You would say 'we should have kept traveling so we could outpace them!' You are so pathetic and you need to stop treating Spirit like this, you lazy excuse of a cat! Leave her alone! Can't you see she doesn't like you?"

I shut my muzzle because I realized I was ranting on, and continued glaring at her while breathing heavily in anger. Only during the last bit had I felt like I'd said too much, but this was ridiculous, and it wasn't going to continue on while I was around.

Spirit was better than every one of us here put together! I was about to feel embarrassed as nobody did or said anything. I could feel the stares and gaping jaws behind me- around me, and tried to lower my hackles.

Finally, after seeming to think about what she wanted to say, Fallan spoke.

"She likes me better than you. I'm her sister!" And I found that hard to believe, because even though Fallan was her sister I had a feeling she'd never been there for Spirit. So I snorted.

"As if that matters. What have you done Spirit?"

Everyone then turned to look at Spirit, who was standing there, her fur slightly fluffed out. Her gaze was narrowed, and she glanced between me and Fallan nervously.

But then, Hannah moved forward to break the awkward silence, and I felt relieved until I saw her burning green gaze. She was going to defend her sister, no doubt.

"Don't speak to Fallan like that," she snapped, and I hissed defensively as she took another defying step forward and lifted a paw as if to reach out and scratch me.

"And none of that is true. Spirit's done the exact same amount of work as all of us. She doesn't contribute any more than me or Fallan do- And you can't blame my sister for being tired, or wanting to rest and eat."

I swallowed an outburst of angry words, and turned towards her with narrow eyes.

"That doesn't mean she has to complain about it."

I took a deep breath. "And in case you had not noticed, dear Hannah," I said slowly as her lips curled; "Spirit carried me and your precious Diamond half the way here by herself, and ran laps trying to run ahead and make sure everything was safe."

I turned and gave a look to everyone, including Spirit, now knowing I had all their attention.

"For all of you. She also caught a large boar and just now found us somewhere to sleep."

I heard Fallan mutter something under her breath but ignored it, plopping down on my tail. Now I observed everyone silently, but nobody said anything. Hannah opened her mouth to say something many times, but always ended up closing it because she couldn't think of anything arguable to say.

Diamond was sleeping on her back. Storm was expressionless as usual, and he, too, was sitting.

Fallan was sulking now, and actually almost looked like she was going to cry because of what I'd said but Hannah went to compfort her; I felt no remorse. Both of them continued to throw glances at Spirit, as if wanting her to defend them or tell me off, or go speak to them silently. But the cheetah simply sat and groomed herself, as the night continued on.

I did not regret anything, I just hoped that my friend would get more respect now. And thinking of her, I turned to see if she would say anything.

Anything approving or scolding (on my behalf) would not concern me. Either way I knew I had gotten Fallan to think about what she was saying out loud now and I didn't think it would return for awhile.

Everyone else turned to Spirit, who was standing there, her fur slightly fluffed out. Her gaze was narrowed still, and she glanced between us but didn't say anything for a long time, just stared down at me with unwavering eyes.

I felt nervous for a split second, and in the split second that I did she bent down and rubbed her face down my muzzle.

I was shocked and confused at first because I'd never seen Spirit nuzzle or even be close to anyone, let alone me, and that reminded me of how she'd invited me to sleep in her nest the first night, in order to make me feel welcome.

"Thank you," she said as she raised her head and looked in the opposite direction. I didn't say anything, but laid down and covered my paws with my tail.

"You should get some sleep." I recommended, and she sat down and sighed.

"I have to keep watch tonight."

"We'll take turns," I meowed instantly after her, guessing she was gonna say that.

She gave a small, tired nod. "And Hannah can take first watch," I added.

The cheetah looked like she would collapse at any moment as she shrugged and then yawned. No doubt I would also get someone else to take watch in her place so she could sleep; probably Storm, if I could prove him reliable.

The Great Spot was already lowering, so that meant a short night watch. I wasn't sure when we were going to be heading out, but I knew it wouldn't be far after dawn, so I decided Storm, me and Hannah would take turns on watch tonight.

I'd just have to let them know before they went to sleep, and without Spirit hearing because Skycat knew she would complain.

Yet, that wouldn't be any problem because Spirit had already laid down and curled her tail around her nose, her wheezes turning into soft, deeper breaths of sleep.