Chapter 16

The group boarded the berg, not saying a word to each other. They'd just lost their best friend.
"So, he's really gone?" Gally guessed
"Yeah, unfortunately he is hemano" Jorge said
Thomas, who was sitting down looking at his feet. Stood up and left the room and walked to the bathroom and slammed the door shut.
"Thomas was so determined to get him back" Brenda said "I feel sorry for him"
"Yeah, I still can't believe Newt shot him. I mean punching Gally is one thing but this" Minho said shaking his head "that wasn't Newt. The Newt we all knew"

In the bathroom, Thomas had his hands on the sink as he leaned over it. He then looked up and put his hand in his pocket and felt something in there. He took out and it was an envelope. He turned it over in his hands trying to remember when he'd received. He then had a flashback.

"Newt, what's up?" Thomas asked as he sat up.
"I need to give you something" Newt said as he grabbed an envelope from his pocket "do not open it until the time is right"
"What is it?"
"You'll find out later, just promise me"
"But why?"
"Thomas, please"
"Alright"
"Good because your the only one I trust with this"

Thomas looked up in realisation. The envelope was from Newt. He then opened it up to find a letter inside and it said,

'Kill me. If  you've ever been my friend, kill me'

He now understood why Newt had said that he was a disgrace and that he couldn't look at him. He wanted Thomas to shoot him. Thomas had failed his friend. The right time to open the letter was when Newt was taken or at the crank palace. Anger boiled inside of Thomas. He screamed and then punched the mirror making it shatter. The door then opened revealing the others outside.
"Thomas what the hell happened?" Gally asked and Thomas looked at them tears in his eyes.
"I failed him. I failed Newt!" Thomas cried
"How? How did you fail him?" Minho asked and Thomas passed the note to them.
"Kill me. If you've ever been my friend, kill me"Minho read out. "If you had killed him Thomas, I would've killed you. I would not have let you done this anyway!"
"That's why he only trusted me with it. He probably thought that I'd do it and I've let him down. He didn't want to turn into one of them. He was always up most nights feeling scared and upset about who he'd become"
The group was quiet.
"I still failed to be the friend that he believe me to be"