[2]: The Hybrid

2011 Mystic Falls, Virginia

"You just can't stay away, can you?" Damon Salvatore questioned when he heard Elena Gilbert walk into his bedroom. He was taking down the clippings he had from following his siblings. He was also so pissed about Andie, so he trashed Skyler's room last night, which he knew he would clean up when he was less pissed because she would kill him if she came back and saw her room like that. He still hadn't turned around to face Elena.

"You've been dodging my calls," He said.

"Yeah, well, busy dating a dead fake girlfriend and all," Damon said. He was still shocked that Skyler was the one who killed her. After Andie fell, when Skyler told him to let them go, he looked into her eyes, looking for any trace of his little sister, but he saw nothing. It was as if her eyes were completely lifeless.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Elena asked.

"Happy Birthday, Elena. Skyler killed Andie, cake?" Damon said sarcastically and Elena frowned.

"Skyler came here yesterday, and Stefan called me," Elena said and Damon stopped. Skyler came to the house and he didn't know? How did she get in and out undetected? Then he rolled his eyes, of course, she did. She had a past with Klaus and Elijah, Damon figured she was just as sneaky as they were.

"What did they say?" Damon asked.

"When Skyler showed up at the house, I almost called out for you, but she told me not to. Now I understand why. But, she said she came by to tell me happy birthday. Stefan didn't say anything, but I know it was him on the phone," Elena said and Damon scoffed. "It was. I asked Sheriff Forbes to trace the call's origin. It came from Tennessee,"

"Where they're both binge drinking on the country folk. We went through this, Elena. Stefan and Skyler are gone, and I don't mean geographically," Damon said as he threw the newspaper clippings into the fire.

"If they were gone, Skyler wouldn't have come here and Stefan wouldn't have called."

⇎⇎⇎⇎⇎⇎

"You okay? Is Ray getting heavy?" Klaus asked Stefan as the trio were trekking their way through the Smoky Mountains to find Ray's pack. Stefan was carrying Ray's body over his shoulders and he shook his head.

"I'm fine," He said.

"You sure about that? You know, we've been walking for quite some time now. If you need some water or a little sit down...-" Stefan cut him off.

"...-You know, I get that we're uh... stuck together, but if we could maybe skip the chit-chat, it'd be great," Stefan said and Skyler suppressed a laugh.

"So much brooding. Your self-loathing is suffocating you, my friend," Klaus said and he was right. Skyler hasn't talked to either of them since last night. She was too much in her own head about what she did to Andie and Damon. She couldn't believe she had it in her.

"Maybe it's because I'm a little tired of hunting werewolves. We've been at it all summer," Stefan said and Klaus shrugged his shoulders.

"Thanks to our pal, Ray, we've found ourselves a pack. There," Klaus said and they stopped walking. Stefan walked into the camp and put Ray's body on the ground. Skyler was surprised he was still unconscious. Waking up from a transition doesn't normally take that long. Klaus killed him nearly 24 hours ago and he still wasn't awake.

She was thinking, shouldn't he be alive by now?

"Ray! Oh my gosh. What's going on? Who are you?" A woman asked as she looked at Stefan. Klaus stepped up with a smirk on his face.