[6]: Teen Spirit

2011 Mystic Falls, Virginia

Skyler Salvatore stood with her friends, Caroline Forbes, Elena Gilbert, and Bonnie Bennett outside of school. Since Klaus left town, she was bored. She wasn't compelled to watch over Elena like Stefan was, but since she had nothing else to do with her day, she figured she'd come to school.

"Here we are, senior year," Caroline said.

"Anyone else thinks it should feel slightly empowering?" Bonnie asked.

"It's not that big of a deal," Skyler said.

"You didn't have to come," Elena said. Skyler shook her head with a smile on her face.

"And miss your first day of senior year, what kind of friend would that make me?" She said with fake enthusiasm. This was the first time they had experienced Skyler and Stefan with their humanity off. They weren't sure what to expect from them.

"Okay and even though prank night was a bust, we're accepting it and moving on," Caroline said.

"You're right. I mean, why should I let the fact that my boyfriend is seeing the ghosts of his dead ex-girlfriends hinder this experience?" Bonnie said and Skyler raised an eyebrow.

"That's a new one," Skyler said.

"Yes! And why should I let the fact that my boyfriend was turned into a hybrid against his will put a damper on an otherwise fabulous day," Caroline said.

"And why should I let the fact that my asshole husband compelled me to turn off my humanity ruin this human experience," Skyler said. The girls looked at her in shock, mainly because she didn't say anything rude.

"Today's our anniversary. Technically, Stefan and I met on the first day of school last year," Elena said and Skyler rolled her eyes.

"Okay, you win," Caroline said.

"Seriously? Bonnie's boyfriend is seeing the ghosts of his exes, Caroline, your boyfriend was turned into a hybrid against his will by my husband who also compelled me to turn off my humanity against my will, and Elena wins just because she met Stefan a year ago today? Let's be serious," Skyler said as she started laughing.

"Skyler," Caroline said.

"What? Our situations are definitely worse than hers. If anything I win. I'm the one who has faced every side of Klaus for over a century. See you later," Skyler said as she walked off from them. None of them called out to stop her. When she got into the school building, she ran right into Benjamin. "Benny boy. My self-righteous best friend. Do you have any lectures for me today?" She asked with a wink.

"Sorry, I'm fresh out," He said.

"Good, they were a bore anyway," Skyler said as she linked her arm through his. Surprisingly, he didn't shrug her off, but he did roll his eyes. The two walked into Alaric's classroom and sat in their seats, which were conveniently next to each other.

"What do you want, Skyler?" He asked.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize I needed an excuse to talk to my best friend," Skyler said. Benjamin rolled his eyes as everyone started to file into the classroom. The bell rang as Alaric walked in and he turned to the front.

"Welcome back, seniors. Let's turn our brains back on, starting with this country's original founders... The Native Americans," Alaric said. Then Rebekah Mikaelson entered the classroom and Skyler raised an eyebrow. Things just got interesting.

"What about the Vikings?" Rebekah asked as she sat down at the empty desk next to Skyler.

"There's no evidence that Viking explorers actually settled in the United States. Who are you?" Alaric asked her.