[18]: One Murder

2012 Mystic Falls, Virginia

Caroline and Benjamin Forbes along with Elena Gilbert were walking through the woods together. They all got text messages from Stefan asking them to meet in the woods. They had no idea what for, and Skyler wasn't with them either. They assumed this was because she was probably with Stefan, but the truth was, because of what the brothers were gathering everyone for.

They left Skyler out of it.

Elena was explaining to Caroline what was happening with Alaric and Caroline raised an eyebrow. "Alaric Saltzman killed my father?" She asked.

"I can't expect you to be okay with this, but at least the herbs that Bonnie is giving him are healing him and keeping the dark side buried," Elena said.

"Yeah, and that's supposed to make everything okay?" Caroline asked.

"Of course it's not, Care," Benjamin said.

"As Benjamin said, it's not okay. It's horrible and I feel horrible about it. But he's a victim of something supernatural, he didn't ask for this, it just happened to him. Just like Bonnie's mom. I mean, she didn't ask to become a vampire, neither did Stefan, Skyler, or Tyler," Elena said.

"Or me and Benjamin," Caroline said.

"Or you and Benjamin. None of you asked for this, but who would I be if I just turned my back on any of you?" Elena asked. Caroline smiled as she wrapped her arm around Elena's shoulders. She was standing between Elena and Benjamin.

"Oh, Elena Gilbert, savior of the cursed and the damned," Caroline said as Matt approached the trio.

"Hey. What's with the cryptic secret meeting text?" Matt asked.

"I don't know. Stefan just said to meet here," Elena said. When Stefan and Damon showed up, everyone noticed their sister was not with them.

"Where's Bonnie? I texted her too," Stefan said.

"Um, Bonnie's mom bailed on her... again. So, I think we should just leave her out of this one," Caroline said and Stefan nodded.

"What are we doing here?" Matt asked.

"Yeah, and um... where's Skyler? Don't you Salvatores plan everything together?" Elena asked. The brothers looked at each other and shook their heads.

"First rule of this plan, before we tell you what it's about... Skyler cannot know about it, alright?" Damon said. Benjamin, Elena, and Caroline shared an uneasy look because they didn't like the prospect of lying to their friend, especially since they knew she was always able to tell when someone was lying. "We found some more white oak. Long story, wait for the movie," Damon said.

"Hang on, white oak? You have a weapon that can kill Klaus?" Elena asked.

"Nope. We all have a weapon, and as Damon said, Skyler can't find out, under any circumstances," Stefan said as he threw a duffel bag filled with white oak stakes down on the ground. The only question was.

How do young vampires and humans take down vampires that are over 1000 years old?

"Klaus has always been one step ahead of us, but now we have the advantage. We're all armed and they're all linked, meaning we only need to kill one of them. We need to seize the best opportunity, which means we need to prepare for every opportunity," Damon said. Then he grabbed Elena and put her into position. "Scenario number one. You get to play Klaus," He said and Elena nodded.

"Okay," She said.

"Rebekah is our target, so we distract her and catch her off guard. To do that, we need to keep Klaus separate and occupied. That's where Skyler will come in," Stefan said.