Chapter Nine: Under Control

A Week Later...

I went through the dresses again, trying to find one that would make me look safe and comfortable, but not like a hostage being forced to look nice for her captors. Jason swore I wasn't a bargaining chip and had been treating me with affection. But I still didn't like the cold reception Victoria gave me every time I walked into a room.

I'm not a hostage, I've just been hanging out for the past week.

I didn't even believe the lie myself.

After a few nights of playing along with the Wolves, I still didn't fully understand their dynamic or why I was seen as a person of value beyond simple hostage negotiation. My hybrid gene seemed to annoy Victoria, leaving Vraal to pander to her mood. Jason had attempted to school me in silent thoughts to make my transition easier, but I knew my presence wasn't for any positive reasons. And when Maria had woken me, I hadn't believed her:

My family was coming to the pack house. I was saved.

"It's not like I'll be in an evening gown with matching shackles," I muttered, going through the rack of clothes for the third time.

I paused as I came across a dark teal blouse again, the color of a peacock. It was a gorgeous, soft organza fabric and complemented the black pencil skirt I had eyed minutes before. I found a pair of black heels, then a moonstone bracelet and earring set in the accessories drawers.

Hanging the clothes up on the back of my bathroom door, I began to apply my makeup and twisted my soft blonde curls into a bun behind my right ear. Maria had been kind enough to provide me with makeup and a curling iron. I didn't want my family to worry.

But you're not being treated well, my brain reminded. You're a hostage.

Once I had slipped into the outfit and heels, I stared at myself in the mirror. It had only been a few nights, but I didn't look like myself anymore. I was different.

Anxious, I walked over to my drink tray and poured half a glass of bourbon, taking a sip to calm my nerves. I went to the window, looking over the clearing. There were some people out, but it was quiet around the pack house. I had noticed the whispers that there was a vampire on the premises. According to Maria, Victoria and Vraal had sent word to my family that I was being held for "educational" reasons and that Shadow Stalkers should learn to understand what my presence meant for their likelihood amongst the supernatural community. A meeting had been scheduled for both sides to discuss further political affiliations.

I nearly leapt when a knock hit my door, breaking my train of thought.

"Miss Mezdor?" It was Thomas, the redheaded guard.

"Yes?" I called, turning away from the window.

The guard opened the door a crack, looking in at me. "Queen Alpha Victoria requests you downstairs. Your family has arrived."

I nodded to him. "Thank you, Thomas." When he closed the door, I finished the bourbon off in one long gulp and swallowed. My throat burned but my nerves were quieted. I checked the mirror again and then headed downstairs. I walked down the hall with Thomas and the blonde, Canaan, right behind me. I held the hem of my skirt as I descended the stairs, finding Jason waiting for me on the landing. He looked good in his charcoal grey suit and black button-down.

He grinned, his eyes giving me a complete once-over. When I stepped up even with him, he offered his arm. "I don't think I need to tell you how gorgeous you look right now," he murmured in my ear to appease my stress.

"Tell me anyways," I whispered. "Maybe it'll help me keep it together before I faint."

"You look absolutely stunning," he said a little louder. Then he leaned his mouth back close to my ear as we descended the rest of the steps, "Smokin' hot."