Chapter 49: She-Wolf

"Jason, don't tell me you're done dancing for the night already," came the sound of a thick, proper British accent and I turned to see who was calling for him. It was the Kipling alpha and his mate.

Jason paused from about to say something more to me, but he looked up at the man and smiled, a touch of the politician's grin lingering in the corners of his mouth. "William, don't tell me you're just looking for fun and not a competition out there. No offense to Nicolette, but I think mine's far more beautiful." His hand gripped mine tighter in a little squeeze.

A hot flush of pink caught my cheeks and ears. "Jason," I scolded, shooting him a look.

The British couple started laughing. William Kipling looked at the redhead and kissed the inside of her wrist.

I took them in again. Nicolette Kipling was even prettier up close. Her gown was made of pale grey chiffon that complemented her skin tone and dark auburn-red hair. The dress had a high neckline that fastened like a choker around her neck and draped down her lithe body, leaving her arms and shoulders bare. She was tall and her winter complexion was creamy and pink, similar to mine, with brown doe eyes and long eyelashes.

"I'm not offended, Jay. You should know I put more stock in bite than bark," she answered him, her pink lips pulling into a sarcastic smirk. Her gaze settled on me and she held out her hand for mine. "You must be the famous Serenity Mezdor. Nicolette Kipling."

"Nice to meet you. And I apologize for this dog," I replied, smiling, as I embraced her fingers for a shake. "He's in need of another round through obedience school."

Her husband started laughing again, the sound coming from deep in his chest. His hair was chestnut brown with eyes so dark they were nearly black. His jaw was clean-shaven except for his mustache and beard that were close-cropped around his chin. He was wearing a formal tuxedo like Jason, but with a bowtie and cummerbund instead of a vest and tie. "William Kipling. And thank you, for being able to put this one in his place," he chuckled, shaking my hand.

I smiled, looking up at Jason as he grinned at his friend's joke.

"Careful, Will. She's never been afraid to put anyone in their place. Serenity, this is Will and Nicolette from our English pack house," he introduced. His hand slipped across my back for a moment and I was more focused on the feeling of his fingers than making new acquaintances.

"Pleasure. Where in England?" I asked, trying to be polite and engaging.

"Just outside Oxford, on the southeast side of the city. But our territory borders run all the way to Bath and Southampton. Are you in England often?" William answered me.

I nodded. "I am. Most of my family on both sides are from London originally. We used to have a coven house in South London until just recently. They moved out towards Colchester and Ipswich late last year."

"Oh, sounds like we've been playing in the same backyard then," Nicolette said.

"When was the last time you were in the area?" William inquired.

I wrinkled my nose, thinking about it. "I was in Scotland two weeks ago, but I haven't actually been to England in at least a year. I'd love to go back once summer fully arrives."

"You should," Nicolette urged, smiling. "Our territory is one of the best for running. We often host a few exclusive events every year."

Her mate nodded in agreement. "It's true. And we have more than plenty of space. Jay, don't go skipping out on me. You should join us, make an expedition out of it."

He chuckled, his hand rubbing back and forth across my lower back again, making it hard not to lean into him. "Only if you agree to the position I'm offering you," he answered.