Chapter 1

*Améthyste Joie*

I am grossly under-dressed.

I was painfully aware of that as I fiddled with the clasp of my handbag. All around me corporate warriors walked up and down in classy black suits; Armani, Chanel, Prada, it all looked fantastic. 

My jeans were blue and regular cut, my white shirt hadn't been worn in two years and my jacket was loaned from Natalia's closet; so were the pointy-toed flat pumps. 

What? I barely had time to get a haircut, where would I find the time to go shopping?

I watched suit-clad people walk through the security gate display their ID badges and walk through a metal detector. I didn't have one and the person I was meeting here had forgotten to alert Access Control that I would be arriving today so I had to sit and wait for them to call her down. 

A few people spared a glance in my direction as they passed me. they were probably wondering why a street urchin was parked in the foyer of the Tower of Ice. Sitting here brought bad memories of being the new girl at school all over again.

"Amy."

My head perked up at the sound of my name. Well, my full name was Améthyste Joie but I went by Amy to almost everyone. Who am I kidding? To everyone.

She stood two maybe three metres from me and was in all-white. She still looked the same: 1.76m tall, flawless olive skin, dark silky hair that flowed to one side of her shoulder, feline green eyes, and a body that could stop a train.

76m tall, flawless olive skin, dark silky hair that flowed to one side of her shoulder, feline green eyes, and a body that could stop a train

Lilia Christakis was still the cover girl of tall and gorgeous. 

I willed my face to open a smile as my best friend approached me with perfect, sure strides that would have broken a ballerina's heart. I was enveloped by a soft cloud of Jean Paul Gaultier's pour femme.

"Oh my Gods! You are wearing make-up!" was her greeting. "There is a God out there indeed." She sighed happily. "I'm so glad you could make it." 

"Well you wouldn't take 'No' for an answer." I injected as much saccharine into my voice as possible when I whispered back to her.