Chapter 9

*Amethyste Joie*

Silence stretched out into the room as I looked at the words that made no sense to me. I read and re-read the last lines over and over again until Alek asked.

"Well? What did your father have to say?"

I jumped at his voice and dropped the letter, with a speedy recovery I gathered all the pieces of paper and set them neatly between us. It couldn't be true. No way. My father was just messing with me. I tried to conjure up something to say but words melted like snowflakes on my tongue. I looked from the letters to Alek and back down at the letters. No.

This had to be a practical joke, right?

"Améthyste?" he reached for my hand but I drew back.

"Uhm." I swallowed the hard lump of stone and faced him head on, "According to this, my mom wasn't the model wife my family knows her to be." I started, "She had an affair with your dad." His brows came together and before he could voice his thoughts I went on, "And had you." I touched the corner of the letter like it was an alien life form, "According to this we have the same mom and you are my half-brother." I covered her mouth with my hand. I felt sick. "This can't be right." I whispered to myself. "No, no, no, no." Alek's face was a mask, he said nothing and gave nothing away. He just stewed in his own thoughts, paling in the process, while I got up and paced around the room, grabbing my hair in the process. "Alek, do you know anything about this?"

"Sit down Améthyste, pacing won't do anything."

"No! You don't understand. This is bad, really bad. We should have a DNA test to confirm this information." I sat down and got up then realisation hit me, "Oh my god! Alexei." I whispered and dropped back down. "Oh God, if this is true... what have we done?" My stomach wanted to rid itself of everything in it. My head spun and my heart kicked at my ribs. Alek remained still.

"Améthyste, calm down." He said flatly; his voice was emotionless but his eyes told me he was freaking out just as much.

"Did you know about this?" I looked at him through crazy eyes, "Did you?"

He frowned and sent an admonishing glare to me, "Would I have slept with you if I had? Améthyste, this says that you are my sister and our parents lied to us." He brushed a hand over his face and cursed under his breath. "A DNA test would be effective but do you know what will happen if this gets out? To you? To us? These things never go away."

She drew head back and shook it slightly, "So we just keep screwing each other even though we might be related?" my brows shot up briefly, "Is that what you are suggesting?"

He shook his head, "No, of course not. Obviously we need to terminate this relationship effective immediately. Theos, how come my father never said anything? Or mother? This is a disaster." He got up and put on his discarded denim jeans. "Follow me."

I took off his shirt and started getting dressed, "Now I really wish I hadn't opened this envelope." I muttered and put on the last shoe before rushing after Alek. "We can't take this test at the Medical Centre. Hell, we probably have to go to freakin' Antarctica for it." He was seated on the couch, his elbows resting on his knees. The pose was so undeniably masculine I was sure I would have looked like an idiot if I attempted it. Stop it! This is your brother, you can't look at him that way. I stuffed the envelope in my bag and headed for the door, "I think I'm gonna go."

"You can't leave. Not before we have spoken, agreed on a way forward." He didn't move as he spoke, "Sit down. Now." He ordered, I complied but picked the furthest couch from him, I still didn't trust myself with the crazy sexual tension between us. "Whether this information is true or not, we need to proceed carefully."