Chapter 19

*Améthyste Joie*

Okay a lot of things were going through my mind as I held the tablet that this monster had sent to me. But the first one that came through was, what kind of idiot just freely gives away an iPhone and an iPad?

A rich one or a sick one?

Alek's hand was warm on my back and I nestled into his shoulder as we looked at the next message.

It wasn't a message.

It was a collection of pictures.

Of me. 

Of Alia.

Of Alexei.

They were taken at different locations: the park, outside the house, outside Alexei's school, inside the house, at the mall, at the dentist. A few were of me with Alek or with Stoll but the majority were of Alexei at school in different outfits.

"Someone's been watching you." Agent Torrun said without looking up from the tablet. He had arrived within half an hour of getting our call.

"For months?" Alia asked, "I still had blue and black hair." she currently had red and black.

He shook his head, "Probably for years. " he flipped the device and showed us a picture of the Leap Day Fun Fair that had been held in town two years ago. Alexei had been three at the time. 

"Oh my gods." I breathed. "But why? I don't get why they would take my baby." I shook my head. I felt so exposed, who would find our small family interesting enough to watch us for years? Were they watching us right now? I glanced at the window. Yes Améthyste, the creeper watching your family will be standing right where you can see them. I sighed and turned back to the cop, "So what do we do now?"

"What's the situation on the bloody t-shirt?" Alia asked.

Torrun dropped his head for a second then looked at Alia, "We put a rush on the blood test?"

"And?" all three of us said.

He cleared his throat, "The preliminary result have the blood as O-neg." A light gasp came from me and Alia covered her mouth while Alek's hand on my shoulder tightened ever so slightly, "But this doesn't mean that the blood is his. We are still waiting on the DNA results." He said in a pacifying voice, "Let's not panic until we know more."

A buzzing sound came from Alek's pocket and he lifted his phone out and rose, "Excuse me." he walked to the door.

"Oh, wait, I'll come with you." Lilia sprang. I had forgotten that she was here. She bent in front of me and gave me light air kisses, "I would stay girlfriend but you know that dreary situations are the leading cause of early onset wrinkles." With that she flitted out of the house after Alek.

"How are you friends with her again?" Alia tried to liven the situation.

"I'll take this in for analysis." Agent Torrun said and put the tablet back inside the box.

"Wait, maybe you should leave the phone." I said and bit my thumb.

"Ma'am, this is evidence." he said firmly.

"I know but the tablet was to taunt or scare me but the phone... maybe he wants to communicate."

"You want to talk to him?" Alia scowled.

"Of course not but, if I--"

"If he went through the trouble of getting you a new phone then he wants to communicate with you and not keeping the phone might upset him and make him--" Agent Torrun explained to Alia.