Chapter 24

*Améthyste Joie*

"What do you want?"

He stuttered for a few seconds then said: "Miss Christakis would like to speak with you."

"I have nothing to say to her." I caught a small plastic ball thrown by Alexei and tossed it back to him.

"She has been taken to the Edenfield Psychiatric Centre for evaluation." Agent Torrun had told me that last week when he came to take the phone Lilia had used to make those calls. I waited for him to mention the part that would maybe make me care, "She barely says a word to anyone, but this morning she asked to speak with you. She said she would only speak to you."

"No." 

"I know you have no wish to see her again but... she is your sister." he sighed, "I would ask that you reconsider."

I started yelling, "She nearly..." But Alexei's proximity made me drop my voice to a hiss"...killed my son!"

"Please think about it. They will be expecting you at the psych facility anytime."

"I'm hanging up now." I said and did just that.

"Who was that?" Alia came in with a big empty box followed by her boyfriend with another one. She has started asking who I was talking to every time I got a call that upset me.

"Lilia's lawyer. He says Lilia asked to speak to me." I put the phone on the table and took the box from Kurt and put it in front of me.

"You will do no such thing." She said with a final tone.

"I'm with you." I looked at the phone. Was I an idiot for feeling sorry for her? For wanting to know what it is she wanted to say. Hanson was right, she was... is my sister and I didn't have the best track record when it came to my family. For her to go to those lengths to torture me, she had to have some major issues. I picked up my phone, and got up, "I have to make a call."

He picked up on the third ring, "Améthyste." 

"Hi Alek. I'm sorry I haven't called." We had last spoken the day Alexei was discharged. He had carried a sleeping Alexei to my car and gave me a tight smile before walking away.

"No, don't be. I haven't called you either. Things have been crazy." Gods, his voice tickled a part of me I thought had died when our son was taken. I leaned on the door frame and closed my eyes, "How are you?"

"Fine. You?" I crossed my legs.

"Fine. How is Alexei?"

"He's fine. He's back in school." He was silent for a while so I spoke on, "So we should talk."

"Yes, we should."

More stretched silence.

"Come to my penthouse tonight." he said.

The penthouse where we had sex countless times? No, that was a danger zone, "No. Somewhere else."

"Améthyste--"

"No, let's meet at a restaurant." Too much temptation in that apartment.

"I'll have Serena make reservations." he said, "She will call you with the details."

I nodded and looked at my feet, "Okay."

~*~

*Aleksandr Christakis*
I took a sip of water from my glass and checked my watch. Butterflies made their rounds at the pit of my stomach. I was not this person, I did not get nervous for dates.

This isn't a date, Aleksandr.

I hadn't seen her since our son left the hospital, she had just pulled away from me when he was missing. Sure she had let me hold her, comfort her but I had felt the tethers that kept us together slowly loosen.