Annoying Midget

I stepped onto the curb of the grocery store and made my way to the entrance of the. My mom sent me to get a few things that we needed to make dinner. I walked over to the baskets and grabbed one. I walked up and down aisles looking for the things that were written on the list.

"Soda Boy!"

"Fuck." I muttered.

Can't even go to the damn store.

"How are you?" He asked.

"I'm good."

"That's good."

I stayed silent seeing if he'd leave me alone.

"Aren't you gonna ask how I'm doing?"

"How are you?" I sighed.

"I'm good."

I nodded my head and continued down the aisle.

"Whatcha doin'?" He asked.

"Shopping."

"Cool. I'm here with my mom."

"Cool."

"If you don't mind me asking, why don't you talk much?"

"I don't like talking." I said wishing he'd go away.

"Usually people like to talk."

I can see. I started walking down the aisle I was on to make my way to a different one. Maybe I could loose him. I heard footsteps behind me hopping it was just another shopper.

"Wait up, man." He laughed.

We went to the next aisle and I looked for what I needed.

"So, when are you gonna tell me your name?" He asked.

"Never." I said grabbing the flour.

"I'm being serious."

"Me too."

"I'd like to call you something besides Soda Boy."

"Doesn't bother me."

"C'mon, you know my name. All I know about you is that you drink sodas at parties."

"And that's all you need to know."

"Why are you trying so hard to be this mysterious person? Don't you think that you're just a little too, reserved? I've asked people if they knew you and every single person said they've never even seen you, except for a few and they said you hide away from everyone."

"And it's gonna stay that way."

"They don't even know your name."

"That, too, is gonna stay like that."

"Why?"

"Because, there's things people just don't need to know about me."

"So what you're saying is that people don't need to know anything about you?"

"Correct."

"Why?"

"It's none of your damn business. I have my reasons. Reasons that only I know. Reasons that only I will continue to know and nobody else. Reasons that people don't know me. Reasons I don't want people to know me. It's not an act, I don't want people to know me. I don't want to be involved with people."

"I know you."

"There's two different meanings, Frank."

"I know who you are, but I don't know who you are. I want both."

"No you don't."

"But what if I do though?"

"That's possibly a big mistake."

"Why?"

"It's not on your part, but it is on mine."

"You're so stubborn."

"So I've been told."

"What if I told you about me."

"I don't want friends, Frank."

"I think you need some. At least one. Let me that friend."

"You know what, I'll think about, but if you mention it once, forget it. Deal?"

"Deal. See ya tomorrow, Soda Boy!" He said running off.

"What have I gotten myself into?"

////////////////////////

"Frank keeps talking about you." Mikey said as I sat down on the couch.

"Really?"

"Yeah. He texted me saying you're too mysterious and that he had to break you. I'm warning you, he's not gonna give up." Mikey laughed.

"I told him I'd think about it just so he'd leave me alone. This is why I don't interact with the human race." I laughed.

"Shut up." Mikey said gently pushing me.

"I'm a fucking turtle!"

"Your little boyfriend is still texting me about you." Mikey smiled.

"Little? Yes. Boyfriend? No." I said.

Mikey laughed and typed away on the screen of his phone. I sat there thinking about what could possibly happen if I let the little midget into my life. Would it end badly? Would it be a repeat of sixth grade?

"He said that you would possibly give him a chance if he didn't mention it." Mikey said putting his hand under his chin.

"Yeah and I don't know if that was a bad idea or not." I said.

"Frank's not bad. He gets in trouble a lot, but he knows how to be a good friend when you need one." Mikey said looking up from his phone.

"I don't know. I'm just nervous that it'll turn out just like sixth grade."

"Frank knows how to keep a secret too."

"But what if I piss him off really badly and he decides to tell everyone everything?"

"He's not like that."

I sighed and threw my head back. I looked at the ceiling contemplating this somewhat important situation. What was I to do? I could just ignore him.

"What do I do?" I groaned.

"I think you need to try this friendship thing out."

"I don't know."

"It's your decision."

"Thanks." I said rolling my eyes.

There was a knock on the door followed by a voice saying, 'Hey, it's Frank!'. I got up and went to my room locking the door behind me. I walked down the small stair case and sat in my desk chair. I rolled over to my desk and continued my drawing I started this morning.

"Why is this door locked?" I heard Frank ask.

"That's the basement. No one goes down there."

Wonderful.

"Can I go down there?"

"Nope."

"Why not?"

"The ghosts don't like people."

"Oh."

He really believed that?

"Bullshit, Mikey!"

"Ok, but there are ghosts down there. We don't open that door because bad things happen."

I heard Frank's footsteps retreat. I turned back to my desk and grabbed my phone. I turned the volume low and played Slayer. I continued on my drawing while mouthing the words to one of their songs.