Busted

"My mom absolutely loves you." Frank said sitting down next to me.

"That's something." I said chewing on my food.

"She wants you to come over again Friday night."

I looked at Frank in shock. His mom wanted me over again? Frank looked at me and smiled. I shook my head swallowing my food.

"Or is you who wants me to come back over?"

"Yeah." He smiled.

"Sure. What time?"

"She said you could come over right after school."

"So then I'll just take you home and we can hang out."

"Ok."

"Maybe Saturday I can come over? Meet your family?"

I got nervous at the thought of "introducing" him to my family. They already know him. How would I explain everything to Frank? As far as he knows I could live in a box.

"I'd like that, but I'm gonna be outta town Saturday." I lied.

"Oh really?"

"Yeah. I'm sorry."

"That's ok. Where are you going?"

"Visit some cousins in New York." I said looking at my sandwich.

"That's nice." He said.

"Yeah, I haven't seen them in forever."

"I hung out with one of my friends yesterday. They have the same car as you do."

"They have good taste in cars then." I smiled.

"Yeah. You gotta a nice car."

"Thank you."

2 Weeks Later:

I was in the kitchen making some coffee as usual. I heard light footsteps coming down the hall. I knew my mom was already at work and today was a Saturday. The only other person here would be Mikey.

"Good morning, would you like some coffee?" I asked without turning around.

"Who are you?" Someone asked.

"Who are yo- Frank?" I asked as I turned around.

"Gerard, what are you doing here?"

And this is where shit goes down.

"Wait. Is that your car that's parked in the driveway?"

"You're probably gonna get really mad at me, but yes."

"What do you mean I'm gonna get really mad at you?"

"Honestly I didn't want you to find out."

"Find out what?"

"I've been somewhat lying to you about who I am. The rest I just didn't tell you."

"What do you mean?"

"You remember how you were telling me about your cousin, Bert, and how he was friends with this one kid in 6th grade? That he practically threw that kid outta of the closet and spread rumors about that kid? And how that kid moved away?"

"Yeah. Gerard, where are you going with this?"

"I'm that kid."

"Bullshit."

"Did he ever tell you the name of that kid?"

"Yeah."

"And what was his name?"

"It started with a 'G'."

"Did he tell you the rumors he spread."

"Yes."

"He told everyone that I checked out the guys in the locker room that I sucked guys off at school. He said so many horrible things about me. Everyone shunned me, talked about me, bullied me. We moved here to get away from it. I avoided people so there wouldn't be a repeat. I told Mikey that I wasn't gonna talk to him at school in case there was another problem, he wouldn't be in my shadow."

"There's no wa-"

"I'm tired of lying and keeping things from you, Frank. It's wearing me out. I've been doing this since the moment we met."

"What exactly have you, whatevered about?"

"The Saturday you wanted to come over, I said I was going to New York. I wasn't. I didn't wanna have to explain why two of your friends bring you to the same house. I didn't wanna take a chance on you finding out I was the kid Bert told you about and then tell everyone and then get shit again and drag Mikey down with me. I was trying to protect him. You told me about Bert being your cousin two days after we started talking. How he totally ruined that kid."

"Is there anything else?"

"No."

"Why didn't you just tell me."

"I didn't want Mikey to get shit from the others. I was bullied up until freshmen year 'cause of Bert. I didn't know what you'd do."

"I didn't know."

"I know. I'm sorry."

"It's ok."

"Frank why are you just standing there?" I heard Mikey yawn.

"I was talking to your brother."

"How did you find out?" Mikey asked.

"I was gonna make some coffee, but it seems like Gerard beat me to it so we were talking and he told me."

"Oh."

"Gerard?"

"Yeah?" I said looking at Frank.

"There's something I need to tell you."