Jail Time

Mark's POV

The agent stood up and walked out, slamming the door behind him. JD came back and cuffed me again, I am so sorry, Mark. I don't believe you did anything." We walked out to the office and I saw Jack standing there, staring helplessly at me as they walk me over to a desk where I sat.

"You are going to be processed, we will tell your husband and daughter where you will be held." I tried to hold back my tears. I mouthed the words 'I love you'. He cried and fell to his knees, grabbing at his shirt. I just stared at the ground and tapped my feet, trying not to cry.

Jack's POV

I started getting worried when Mark didn't come home, so I tried calling his phone, but he left it on the counter.

A little while later I got a call from one of the FBI unit phone numbers, "Hello, who is this?"

"Hey, baby, it's Mark." He sounded nervous,

"Mark? Where are you?"

"Don't freak out, but I'm at an FBI office. I-"

"What?! Why? Where? I'll be there in a minute."

"Jack-"

"Love you, bye." I knew where he was, a friend of mine works there. When I get there I started shouting for Mark before seeing him in one of their shitty holding cells.

"Well. It's- It's complicated..."

"We have all day." I shook the bars, there's my friend JD, "Follow me, you need to fill out some paperwork." We walked over to her desk, "Jack, I'm sorry for what happened, I know he didn't do anything. But there's too much evidence against him."

"What is he being charged with?"

"Treason and 2 cases of murder. It's unlikely he will ever be released from jail, if convicted. I'm sorry."

"He didn't do anything wrong!"

"Jack, calm down. You can come in the interrogation room if you would like, as long as he doesn't confess to something he didn't do, he could plead innocent... There might be a loophole somewhere in that contract." We walk in the back,

"Would you hurt someone else?"

"No! Never!"

"Would your husband?" Mark looked at the ground, I've hurt so many people. I should be in that interrogation room, not him! I started tearing up,

"Did you kill Christine Hayborne?!" Alex stood up and slammed his fists on the table.

"I did!"

"NO!!!" I try to run up to the glass, but JD stopped me and pulled me back. I couldn't breath, I was crying and falling on the floor. She lead me out and I stood by her desk, holding my breath and fighting back my tears. They have to know he didn't do anything, he's too precious, maybe there is still a chance for him...

JD walked Mark out in handcuffs, all I could do was stare, he mouthed 'I love you' and I lost it, I broke down crying, pulling my hair and grabbing at my shirt.

I was escorted out where Alex gave me a ride home, I stared out the window, crying and not saying a word,

"Jack." He tried talking several times, "I'm just doing my job." I balled up my fists and started gritting my teeth. "Stop that. Stop giving me the silent treatment!"

"Let me out. I'm walking." He pulled over and I got out. How am I going to explain this to Elise? Her father's going to jail for murder. What is she going to think of him? Is she going to want to visit him? Ow long it he going to be there? Before I realised it, I was at the front door with my hand on the knob... here goes nothing.

I walk through the door to see my little girl standing across and staring right at me, "W-Where's dad?" Her voice cracked,

"He's, umm... going away for a while..." I rubbed the back of my neck, watching the tears roll down my chin onto the floor.

"Life sentence for two murders and treason..." I looked up to see Elise holding a stuffed bear and a small piece of paper.

"Daniel." She nodded, tossing the bear in the trash and handing me the paper. I didn't even look at it, just teared it up and tossed it onto the floor. I pulled her into a hug and cried, "H-He d-didn't d-do i-it. Baby, he didn't hurt anyone he couldn't!"

"I know, dad. D-Daniel has been writing me letters since I got out of the hospital..."

"What?! Elise! Why didn't you tell me?!"

"I thought I c-could handle it... Like you did."

"Elise, that's not how it works!" She stopped hugging me and walked over to the couch. I went to the kitchen and pulled out a small bottle of whiskey...

"Promise me you won't do that." She was still facing forward, towards the TV,

"Do what?"

"Start drinking. I don't need that." I left the bottle on the coffee table in front the couch, "C-Can I stay home from school tomorrow...? I don't feel well..." Elise was so pale and quiet.

"Of course. Is something wrong, sweetpea? Aside from the obvious." I tried to wrap my arm around her but she moved, stood up, walking to her bedroom.

I pulled out a shot glass. Just one won't hurt, just take the pain away, even if only for a minute. I took the shot. Maybe a second wouldn't hurt.