(don't expect me to write that title again) Part 4

Later that night; Family room; After dinner; Josh's POV

My entire family, Katy, and Shawn sat down in the living room.

Well, everyone knows about Maya and me, the secret's out, and I was NOT afraid to show it.

"Come here, Papaya." Maya did as I told her to and shyly walked over to me. I grabbed her gently around the waist and put her on my lap. Maya looked mildly uncomfortable as Shawn gave me an icy glare. I tried to distract her by talking to her. "So, gorgeous, wanna take a walk later?" I whispered into her ear. She turned around and smiled at me. "Sure." I smiled back at her of course.

Maya's POV

"Why do you always let Josh put you on his lap? Is he comfortable?" Allen chuckled.

I shifted around on Josh's lap. "You know what? He is pretty comfortable. For a human being..." I added. He bit his lip and laughed nervously. He gave me a 'pleading' look. Then I realized what I had juts done. I basically grinded against him in front of his family and mine. He saw realization dawn on my facw and gave me a playful smirk.

"Shut up I didn't mean it like that!" I hissed under my breath.

"I know, Blondie." he chuckled softly. Gosh! He's so understanding!

I got off of his lap and curled up next to him with my head on his shoulder. He ran his hand up and down my thigh and rested his head on mine.

"Oh, so you're one of those young couples who can't stop touching each other!" Amy giggled.

Josh lifted his head up and looked at me. "Pretty much, yeah."

"Shawn, how can you NOT think this is adorable?" My Mom squealed.

"I never said THAT, I just... Don't like it." Shawn drifted off.

"You wanna go for that walk now?" Josh asked.

"Sure. Let's go." I replied.

"Okay. Guys, we're gonna head out for a short walk. Be back in a bit." Josh announced.

"Let's go, Papaya." Josh nudged me. He kissed me on the head. We got off of the couch and he wrapped an arm around my waist as we walked.

We exited the building and headed towards the park.

"Papaya, I'm sorry I got you into this." Josh apologized.

"Joshua Matthews! This is NOT your fault so don't you dare blame yourself!" I cried.

"Shhh. Settle down, sweetheart. I just feel like I'm responsible for this mess." said Josh.

"How?" I asked quietly.

"I dunno, for EXISTING. I'm also older. I wanted to keep this a secret and lie to everyone, but you wanted to tell the truth. I should've listened to you. If I did, we wouldn't have to go through this. I'm sorry."

"That may be true, but Shawn didn't have to react like that!" I said. "Can we just put this behind us?" I asked.

"Sure Papaya." He smiled.

"It cuts me like a razor every time you blame yourself!" I said.

"It's getting late. Central Park after dark isn't safe at all. Let's head back." said Josh.

When we got to the Matthew's apartment, my mom came up to us.

"Have a nice walk?" she asked.

"Yeah." I yawned.

"Yes, we did. I think someone's tired." Josh looked at me.

But, suddenly, I was wide awake.

"Josh, I need to talk to you." I said urgently.

"Okay."he replied. We headed to his room and sat down on his bed.

He got  a little closer to me and started kissing me deeply and passionately.

"Josh, stop." I half-giggle-half-mumbled. He chuckled and kept on going. "Josh, seriously, stop it." I repeated.

He stopped and looked at me. "What's wrong?" He asked. He sounded genuinely concerned.

Shawn's POV

I followed Josh and Maya to Josh's room and peeped through the slightly opened door.

I saw them sit on his bed. Josh started kissing her.

"Josh, stop." said Maya. He laughed and continued to kiss her. 'Josh, seriously, stop!" Maya repeated herself. He finally stopped and tilted his head at her. It's okay, I used to do stuff like that when I was his age.

"What's wrong?" He asked. He sounded pretty worried.

"Josh...I- uh, this isn't working out." Maya said quietly. Josh turned white and started stuttering. Poor kid. I remember my first time getting dumped. I wasn't NEARLY as upset as he was. He must really like her...

"Wha- what?" his voice broke as he spoke.

"Shawn doesn't really like the thought of us together. I don't want another fight. Especially not in front of your family. He's my stepdad, and I care about his opinion." My heart sank. I did this. It's not just Josh who will be hurt, she's doing this for BOTH of him!

"Maya, at first even CORY didn't like the thought of us. He lied to cover my ass today!" Josh countered.

"Yeah, but Shawn is different. He's closer to me than Cory is, so he's gonna try to protect me more than Cory would. Shawn is my stepdad." Maya said firmly. So Cory DID know!! AHA!

"Yeah, and Cory is my brother, so you'll be his sister-in-law. Josh shot back.

Um, whud he say? Does he plan on MARRYING MAYA?!? Hell no! Wouldn't that make Maya sort of my sister-in-law?? She's already my stepdaughter!

"I-I don't know what else to do. Just go find a girl your age!" Maya was on the brink of tears. "I don't want you getting hurt."

"Maya!" Josh cried. "You would be more hurt if I left you than I would be if I stayed! No arguing. I'm staying with you! I'm not causing you any physical harm, am I? So there's no excuse for me to leave. Other People can't decide how we run our lives."

"I'm not good enough for you, though! Just go find someone who IS good enough!" Maya sobbed.

"No, no no no! Maya, don't put yourself down like that! You are! Shawn is trying to protect you because NOBODY will ever be good enough for YOU. Not even ME! And he's basically like a brother to me! Doesn't that tell you ANYTHING?!"

Awwwwwww he said I'm like his brother. How cute!

By now, tears were falling freely from Maya's eyes like two little waterfalls.

Josh put Maya on his lap and rocked her.

"Shhh, Maya." Josh whispered."I love you, and no matter what ANYONE says, I'll stay with you."

I think I'm pretty convinced that Josh really DOES love Maya.

But things change.