Part 19

When a wake up, I hear Josh's raised voice. I let out a small cry and he rushes over to my bed and grabs my hand.

"Who was that?" I ask.

"Nothing important, just relax," he replies.

I do just that until I hear a horrifically familiar voice.

"Maddie?" The voice asks.

I give Josh a puzzled look and then I see him. My brother, Jacob.

He stumbles over to the bed, "Nice to see you again. Thought I'd seen the last of you."

He smirks, "You're friend, Hannah, has been asking about you. It was nice of you to give her your car."

"Can we not do this right now?!" I say getting defensive.

He comes closer to me, but Josh steps between us.

"She asked to wait, so leave."

Jacob laughs, "I'm her brother, I can do whatever I want."

Josh puts his hands up defensively, "I'm her husband and I sure as hell won't let you stay."

I feel Jacob clawing at my arm and Josh slaps his hands away from, "Get the hell out! Don't come back, just leave."

He pushes Jacob out the door and runs over to me as I start to cry.

"Josh, why me?" I ask him, "Why me? You have every girl in world in line for you, so why me?"

"Maddie," he starts.

"I'm just trouble for you... I'm sick,  I can't have kids, I have a completely screwed up life, god! We can't even have sex without me having to be rushed to the hospital!"

"Maddie, I chose you because from the moment I laid eyes on you I loved you. I was looking at you the whole night, then when you fell I just just thought, that maybe it was a sign."

He wipes a tear off his cheek.

"I fell in love with you. No illness or past will ever make me not love you. When you were... When the doctors didn't think you would make it, I decided that I couldn't live in a world without you. I wouldn't."

"Josh," I whisper.

"Shh. Nothing or no one. Not an illness or a past or your brother or your dad. Not your aunt, not the media, not cancer, not even God could take you away from me. Where you go, I go. If you were to drop dead this very moment, I would be right behind you. I love you. I love you more than anything."

"Josh... Not trying to burst your bubble in the moment or anything, but hold that thought. Or all those thoughts, I just need to say something."

He looks scared to death as to what I'm about to say.

"So when I got my ovaries removed, they gave me an option to get a transplant. It's a newer thing they are doing now. So I told them yes, in hopes that I could still be somewhat some sort of a woman. Today while you were at lunch, the doctor told me what was wrong."

He gulps. "Well the blood was because of the new parts I got down there. But when they ran tests, they realized that the sperm can actually take effect."

He acts confused.

"In other words, I'm pregnant. They said I will probably have complications but-"

He begins sobbing and kissing me.

He kisses my abdomen, "I promise to protect you."

I feel his tear drops sliding down my stomach.

I didn't realize that this was so short: