Chapter 10 - Let's Have Dinner

Come upstairs, there's something I want to ask you - SH

Jemima grinned at the text lighting up her phone screen. She was sitting at her computer, doing a whole lot of nothing, and was wondering what sort of case Sherlock needed her assistance with this time.

New case? - JJ

Not quite - SH

Jemima frowned at her reply, bemused. What else could his query be about? Sherlock never really tried to get her attention unless it was for a case. The kissing was an exciting development, but after the moment had passed, Sherlock would act almost as if it had never happened. Sherlock, who was sitting upstairs in 221B, began to grow impatient and texted her again.

Now - SH

Fine - JJ

Jemima made her way upstairs and pushed through the door into 221B. It was beginning to smell like home to her after the few months she'd been living there. She welcomed the gentle scent of tobacco that still lingered around the flat, mixed with various sharp chemical smells from Sherlock's concoctions. The man himself was sitting casually in his armchair with his fingers tented in front of his face and he still had his phone pressed between his palms.

"You wanted to see me?" She asked tentatively, not wanting to disturb an important trail of thought.

"Yes." He replied, his eyes immediately snapping open. He leapt gracefully from the armchair and covered the room in three long strides, stopping when he was face to face with her. As he looked down into her face, a few twinges of nerves nagged at him and the confidence he'd previously exuded was beginning to fade.

"What's going on?" She asked him with a slight frown.

"Um. Well, I'm not usually very good at this kind of thing, actually, I've never done this before." He took a deep breath to steady himself. "I want to ask you...on a date." He said, his voice unsteady and slow.

Jemima just blinked at him, shocked at his request. In truth, it had been a while since the last kiss and she was beginning to wonder if he had truly meant it. Now she had her answer.

"I...I mean... I know you probably won't want to. But I just thought I'd ask. I was expecting you to say no anyway so it doesn't really matter." He backtracked, words falling from his mouth uncontrollably as he tried to process his thoughts.

"Yes." She smiled.

"What?" He replied, bemused.

"Of course I'll go on a date with you. Where were you suggesting? Not a crime scene I hope." She said.

"You will?" Sherlock asked, pleasantly shocked.

"Of course. That's what I said, didn't I? Where are we going?" She asked again.

"I was thinking Angelo's. It's a nice little restaurant. It isn't too far away, I know the owner." He explained.

"You? A restaurant?" She laughed.

"Yes, a restaurant. What's funny about that?" He said, looking almost downcast.

"It's just, I wasn't expecting any of this." She said, waving her arms as if to indicate the whole situation.