Chapter 2

It was 9 o'clock in the morning. Way too early for a demon hunter to be awake. Caelan cursed his fate, which had doomed him to pick up Sara's and Thancred's son at the airport. The starbucks paper cup with black coffee in his left, he tried to pay the parking fee with only his right hand and cursed silently, as the coins fell to the ground. 10 dollars for a mere hour of parking! 20 minutes later, he finally reached gate 4, only to be told that the flight from France to San Francisco was delayed. He didn't think, his mood could have gotten worse, but now it found a new low-point. Another curse on his lips, he leaned against the wall, lighting a cigarette and watching the exit of gate 4. Of course, the hall in front of gate 4 was a non-smoking area, but his glare made everyone, who thought about complaining think twice.

Yesterday, after he left the headquarter, he had tried to prepare a room for the boy. Leon was his name, as he remembered. He had emptied his home office and now, all the books were piling up in the living room. He had left the desk and the empty shelves in the office, since the boy would need them, if he continued to attend university. And also, he had set up the camp bed from his army days. For the first days, that should be enough, or so he thought.

Another hour and two overpriced airport-coffees later, the plane still hadn't arrived. Caelan was already close to simply leaving and giving a damn about the boy, when the long-awaited call finally echoed through the airport hall: "Flight 781 from France, Paris to San Francisco arrived. Passengers are requested to pick up their checked baggage at counter 8. Exit will be Gate 4. I repeat..."

With a deep sigh, Caelan adjusted his sunglasses and threw the third cup of coffee into the trash bin. Finally! He really wanted to get home and maybe take another nap, before his evening duty would begin. Demons were nocturnal creatures and thus, the hunting always started at dusk and ended at dawn. This was also the reason, why he didn't get much sleep last night. The hunt, the news about Sara's and Thancred's death and in addition the attempt to prepare a room for the boy.

Impatiently, he looked out for the boy, but there were mostly old people coming out of Gate 4. It almost seemed, like Leon wasn't on the plane at all and Caelan's mood dropped once again. But then, a slender boy walked out, his semi-long black hair casting a shadow upon his face. He wore casual blue jeans and a black t-shirt and trailed a huge travel bag behind. He looked around for a moment and then, his eyes fell on Caelan. Obviously, since no one else was left in the hall, he concluded that Caelan was here to pick him up and walked closer.

"Leon, yes?" Caelan asked and glanced over the edge of his sunglasses.

"Yes." the boy answered. "You must be Caelan."

"Exactly." Caelan replied. "Now, since you're going to stay with me, let's make a few things clear... I work at night and sleep during the day, so don't wake me up. Hands off my weapons and don't stick your nose into my things. Simply said: Don't bother me and we'll be best friends, okay?"

"Don't worry. I did not intend to be a bother." Leon stated and Caelan was faintly surprised at his courage. Most people would have been intimidated by his harsh words and cold appearance by now. But then, Leon raised his head to look at him and Caelan almost winced back. Those were Sara's huge, blue eyes...looking straight into his soul! For a moment, he was speechless. Then, he quickly pulled himself together again and cleared his throat.

"Okay, since we made this clear, let's leave. I need to get some sleep before my night shift starts." With those words, he walked towards the exit, not even looking if Leon followed him or not.

But the boy walked right behind him. And Caelan couldn't shake off the feeling of Sara's huge blue eyes watching him. Did she dislike the way, he treated her only son? Was she angry, that he never managed to forgive her for leaving Team Zero behind? Was that the reason, why her eyes still haunted him even after her death? He knew, he was being riddiculous and that Leon simply inherited the look of her eyes, but still...