Chapter 10

Tonight there wasn't much trouble, until Reaver and Caelan reached their destination. They were merely followed by a Level 3 for a while, which eventually got shot down by Caelan's gun. But as they reached the underground entrance to the metro station, where Reaver had detected the Level 5, the darkness got as thick as oil. And the smell was equally nasty.

"Guess he already had his dinner..." Caelan murmured towards Reaver, as he pulled the helmet off his head.

Reaver, who had stepped out of the SUV just now, nodded. "Horrible smell." he agreed. "Most likely some poor homeless rotting out there."

"At least what's left of him." Caelan dryly replied.

The sweet smell of rotting flesh and dried blood filled the air and almost stole their breath, when they slowly went downstairs. There were no lamps anymore and the only light source they had, was the small display of Reaver's communication headset. But thanks to the nightvision glasses and their improved immortal senses, they could see almost as well as a cat in the dark. Only that everything seemed a little greenish.

"Haven't been underground for a long time..." Caelan murmured with a grimace.

"Scared?" Reaver whispered back with a grin.

"I'd be a fool if I wasn't." the black haired hunter replied seriously.

"True." Reaver agreed and they fell silent again.

Soon, they reached the platform of the old metro system and the smell intensified. There was blood smeared against the walls but no bones. Level 5's left no bones. They ate it all. The handprints in the bloodsmears seemed almost human, which made it even more creepy. But when a Level 5 opened his mouth, there was no humanity left. They had sharp, long teeth like needles, which could bite through bones. But usually, when you got that close to them, you were already dead, killed by their element.

"It seems to be living here." Reaver whispered and held his gun up, ready to shoot any target.

Suddenly, there was a small gleam of light. Caelan wanted to warn his friend, but too late. A huge water sphere shot out from the darkness and hit the big man right into the chest.

"Reev!" Caelan called out and threw himself to the left. He quickly pulled his gun an fired into the darkness, where the water sphere had come from. But no chance, the bullets were immediately caught in water and uselessly dropped to the ground. Caelan's head spun around to his friend again, who was struggling to get out of the water. Only a few more minutes and he would drown in there...

Immortals were stronger than humans, so they could survive a few minutes underwater, but even they could die from oxygen lack. And if Caelan didn't manage to get Reaver out somehow, exactly that would happen. But he couldn't get close to pull Reaver out either. The water would simply suck him in.

"Damn!" he cursed. Then, he pulled his sword from the sheath on his left. It was made of reinforced silver and if there had been even a single gleam of light, the sword would have reflected it like thousands of mirrors. But there was nothing but darkness.

"Don't worry, Reaver... I'll get you out" he swore to his comrade, who was trying to move as little as possible right now. Reaver knew, he had to preserve his breath and try to slow down his pulse to survive. He had to give Caelan as much time as possible.

And then, Caelan lunged forward. With unimaginable speed, he ran towards the dark tunnel. A water sphere was hurled at him and he threw himself to the left. As the seconde water sphere appeared, he was already on his feet again. More and more appeared, filling the air like snowflakes, but he danced through the water orbs like a faerie and none of them was able to touch him.